Names Searched Right Now:

Saudi Arabia Bans 50 Names

Hello, Berries, here is an interesting article regarding fifty names that are banned in Saudi Arabia. Surprisingly, the list includes foreign names like Alice (my middle name), Sandy, Linda, Maya, Elaine and Iman which ‘contradict culture and religion’.

Saudi Arabia’s interior ministry has banned 50 given names including “foreign” names, names related to royalty and those it considers to be blasphemous.

Saudis will no longer be able to give their children names such as Amir (prince), Linda or Abdul Nabi (Slave of the Prophet) after the civil affairs department at the ministry issued the list, according to Saudi news sites.

It justified the ban by saying that the names either contradicted the culture or religion of the kingdom, or were foreign, or “inappropriate”.

The names fit into at least three categories: those that offend perceived religious sensibilities, those that are affiliated to royalty and those that are of non-Arabic or non-Islamic origin.

A number of other names appear that do not necessarily fit into any category and it is therefore unclear as to why they would have been banned. Names such as Abdul Naser and Binyamin are not found to be particularly offensive to Muslims.

Binyamin is believed in Islam to be the son of Prophet Jacob (Yaqoub) (PBUH) and the full brother of Prophet Joseph (PBUH), but it also happens to be the name of the Israeli prime minister. Abdul Naser, similarly, is the name of the famous Arab nationalist ruler of Egypt, who was at odds with Saudi Arabia.

Names such as Abdul Nabi and Abdul Hussain, common among Shiites and some Sunni Arabs, are controversial because of the multiple ways in which they can be interpreted. Abdul in Arabic means “worshipper of” or “slave of”, while Nabi means “prophet” and Rasool means “messenger”.

Those who oppose such names argue that Abdul means “worshipper of’ and is therefore forbidden as only God can be worshipped. Most Muslim names with Abdul carry one of God’s 99 Islamic names. Abdul Rahman, for example, comes from the name Al Rahman.

Another set of names that is banned includes those that have to do with royalty, especially titles such as Sumuw (highness), Malek (king) and Malika (Queen) and other royal terms such as Al Mamlaka (the kingdom).

Some of the names on the list are not uncommon among Arabs, including Malak (angel), Amir (prince), Abdul Naser and Jibreel (Gabriel).

Names banned in Saudi Arabia

Malaak (angel)
    Abdul Aati
    Abdul Naser
    Abdul Musleh
    Nabi (prophet)
    Nabiyya (female prophet)
    Amir (prince)
    Sumuw (highness)
    Al Mamlaka (the kingdom)
    Malika (queen)
    Mamlaka (kingdom)
    Tabarak (blessed)
    Nardeen
    Maya
    Linda
    Randa
    Basmala (utterance of the name of God)
    Taline
    Aram
    Nareej
    Rital
    Alice
    Sandy
    Rama (Hindu god)
    Maline
    Elaine
    Inar
    Maliktina
    Lareen
    Kibrial
    Lauren
    Binyamin (Arabic for Benjamin)
    Naris
    Yara
    Sitav
    Loland
    Tilaj
    Barrah
    Abdul Nabi
    Abdul Rasool
    Jibreel (angel Gabriel)
    Abdul Mu’een
    Abrar
    Iman
    Bayan
    Baseel
    Wireelam
    All the best,
    Mischa.

Some of these are beyond comprehension. Even my rudimentary knowledge of Arabic knows that "abd" means either 'slave' or 'servant,' with 'worshiper' as a figurative definition. To this day in Arabic black people are called, without blinking, 'abid' ("slaves"), and I'm pretty sure they're not calling them 'worshipers.'

Randa is a shocker-- it's an ancient, pre-Islamic Arabic name that refers to a scented tree.

I also cannot understand banning Gabriel / Jibreel. I do get the Shia names though-- hardly surprising amongst the Wahabis-- but the Western names seem bizarrely cherrypicked.
    Blade, MD

XY: AR
    XX: CVN

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrra * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Iman / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Najid _ Rafiq _ Tariq

Some of these make no sense to me. Especially Iman. It means faith, right? And I think Yara refers to a butterfly. I'm not sure what the reasoning is behind banning that one. They banned Malik, Malika, and Amir, but I don't see Amira on the list. This is just odd.