Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Names that sound horrible in another language

For those who are bilingual (like myself) or trilingual, do you hate when you fall in love with one name and it's sounds beautiful in one language, but when you go ahead and pronounce it in another language it sounds horrible? Take for example; Isla. I am slowly liking this name and in spanish it just flows out of the mouth. But when you pronounce it in english? "Eye-la" Nooooooooo. It just ruined it for me. *slams face with keyboard* Here's to choosing names that has to work in many languages!
    punctuality is a virtue of the lonely.

Michelle. Spanish=mee-KAY-ay. Yuck.

Herbert. French=air-BARE. Ewwww.
    I'm a teenberry, a Christian, and a bookworm.
    Finn*John "Johnkin"*Dean*Colin*Cove*Avery*Absalom*Sam*Ki rby
    Elsa "Elsie* Mireille*Wilhelmina*Xandra*Virginia*Charlie*Agnes* Saoirse*Alice*Euphrosyne.[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by solace View Post
    Take for example; Isla. I am slowly liking this name and in spanish it just flows out of the mouth. But when you pronounce it in english? "Eye-la" Nooooooooo. It just ruined it for me. *slams face with keyboard* Here's to choosing names that has to work in many languages!
    I get what you're saying (and understand your dilemma about not liking the sound) but Isla is a Scottish name so technically English is the language it's meant to be said in (the primary language in this scenario) and 'eye-la' is the pronunciation it's meant to have. I do know that 'isla' (ees-la *?*) is the Spanish word for island too though.

I think next time, before you fall for a name, check it's native pronunciation first and then see if you like it in the other.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Beta read The Self Invention: The book is now complete. All chapters are up!

My background is German, among other things, and one that really stands out is Giselle/Gisella. In Germany it's pronounced GEE-ZEL-AH, which kind of butchered the light and airiness of it. I much prefer the French pronunciation. It's also a name I adore and since I maybe moving back there, it would probably drive me nuts.

My name is Jessica then becomes YES-SICK-AH.

One that always makes me laugh is Monica, it gets pronounced as MOO-NIK-UH, and Elisabeth becomes ELIS-UH-BET.
    Last edited by sodallas3; March 17th, 2014 at 08:32 PM.

'Jess' Jessica Emily Faith
    Living down under...
    Australian/German/South African/Scottish/English/Irish/Romani
    Elsa: Mystical, magical, completely unique, baffling and all her own

Ronan: Spicy, little boys wearing plaid shirts, running around in kneeless jeans, playing in the mud and being mischievous.
    Other considerations
    Mary Belle - Conrad - Elaina/Elena? - Jonas

Quote Originally Posted by renrose View Post
    I get what you're saying (and understand your dilemma about not liking the sound) but Isla is a Scottish name so technically English is the language it's meant to be said in (the primary language in this scenario) and 'eye-la' is the pronunciation it's meant to have. I do know that 'isla' (ees-la *?*) is the Spanish word for island too though.

I think next time, before you fall for a name, check it's native pronunciation first and then see if you like it in the other.
    I always known that Isla is spanish for island. It wasn't until recently that search for the origin. Which is a place name right in Scotland (I'm going back on memory here)? I just don't understand why isn't the "s" pronounced? It would be more appealing if it was pronounced eyes/z-la...
    punctuality is a virtue of the lonely.