Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Noobie here- Looking for a name that a little boy grows into as a MAN.

I'm gonna be a daddy potentially, and I have told my wife numerous times that i want a name that a "little boy can grow into". What i mean, is, I love strong, leadership-centric, victorious sounding, Thor's cousin type of names haha. I'm saying #300 King Leonidas' twins name. Strong names that boys can look up and feel tough and macho and feel like they have something to look forward to. *disclaimer- first post, had a few drinks, would love your inputs!

Victor springs to mind... strong, manly, but classic and well-established as a name. And Vic is one tough nickname!

Other names that sound manly to me include:
    Bruce (think Robert Bruce, Bruce Willis, etc)
    Butch
    Caleb
    Clyde
    Donovan
    Gage
    Gordon
    Harley
    Joaquin
    Jason
    Jasper
    Kingston
    Lance
    Lee
    Luther
    Maximus
    Nestor
    Regis (means 'king")
    Romulus
    Samson
    Sylvester
    Vincent

These names all seem to me like men who permit no liberties. Good luck!
    Mommy to Travis Nevin Officially TTC #2!
    Future Sons: Angus Loudon ...or... Harvey Leonhard ...or... Jethro Blaise
    Future Daughters: Ada Gertrude ...or... Florence Imogen ...or... Amity Scarlet

Crushing on: Midred Nathanael Harriet "Hattie" Rufus Ainhoa Hamish Elspeth Donovan Thisbe Jules Romilly Laszlo Rowena "Winnie"

Alfred | Arthur | Bartholomew | Ephraim | Frederick | Isadore | Ozias | Rupert | Sherlock | Victor

Antonia | August | Damaris | Eliza | Esmeralda | Marceline | Matilda | Ramona | Tahlia | Trudy

I think the meaning of the name, or any namesake, is not nearly as important as how the name comes off, if you know what I mean. For example, Perseus is a strong heroic character in Greek mythology, but an interest in Greek mythology (and therefore the name Perseus) has more of an intellectual, bookish, introverted vibe in my opinion. If you are looking for a strong, no-nonsense image, then I would avoid names that seem frilly or extravagant.

I would also hope that you are prepared for the fact that any sons you may have might not willingly conform to the masculine gender stereotypes you describe. I really hope you wouldn't be pushing that sort of personality onto them if they turned out to be gentle, non-competitive, sensitive or quiet souls. For that reason I would also avoid overtly macho names like Butch and Thor, because they may be a total mismatch with a real boy's personality. It's a really great idea to try and pick a name that a boy can grow into a man with, as long as you take into account that there is more than one way to be a man.

I think Alexander is a great suggestion, meaning 'defender of men' and a solid, strong image. Also second Victor, Jason and Vincent! Those and other classic names sound the most no-nonsense, 'leader' type names to me, because they fit a boy or a man no matter what he is like and allow him to grow into his own self. Others that seem strong and very masculine to me without crossing over into hyper-macho territory (although some are maybe a bit 'boring'):

Alec
    Axel
    Evan
    Leon
    Max
    Michael
    Nicholas
    Robert
    Ryan

Edit: Also second Rex!
    Last edited by jackal; March 15th, 2014 at 11:50 AM.
    Emil - Gylfi - Haraldur - Ingimar - Ívar - Kjartan - Leó - Matthías - Orri - Óskar - Róbert - Sævar - Sverrir

Elísabet - Elva - Freyja - Ingileif - Ingunn - Ísabel - Lovísa - Lóa - Rósa - Sólveig - Svala - Ylfa