Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Names you consider "timeless"

I was reading the baby name wizard book and the section about timeless names sparked my interest. Basically she classifies a name as timeless if when you hear it, you don't know if the person is one, 20, 50, or 100.
    The list is diverse and spans popularity because some timeless names have been more popular than others (think Jacob, Alexander, Samuel, Benjamin, James, William, etc).
    As a Michelle from the 70s/80s, I now firmly have a mom name as other parents/teachers I work with have similar names that you never hear on children (Jennifer, Kim, Lori, Jessica, Stephanie, Katie, etc).
    I like timeless names because I don't want my child to have a name associated with a decade, as I do.
    A couple names on the list caught my eye:
    Emmett
    Elliott
    Do you consider them timeless? Are they classics that are currently popular now, like Lucas, Henry, Levi, Ezra?
    Also, both Elliott and Emmett don't have nicknames and Ellie or Em are way too femme for a boy.
    My son is Charles, nn Charlie. Charles is timeless which I love, I also like that there are nickname options and Charles is all man, nothing feminine about it.
    What other names are similar/fit that description, and what do you think of those 'e' names above?

I wouldn't say Emmett and Elliott are timeless. I consider a name timeless if it's been in use (if not super common, at least in use enough that people have heard of it and don't find it strange) for at least a few hundred years. Obviously some classics are more popular than others at various times, e.g. Elizabeth which is #10 in the US vs Margaret which is in the 100s I think, but never fall completely out of use or off the radar.

And I'd argue timeless and classic are not the same thing- a classic may or may not be timeless, all timeless names are classics- but

I'd consider these names (among others) timeless:
    John
    William
    James
    Charles
    Alexander
    Edward
    Henry
    Thomas

Elizabeth
    Mary/Marie/Maria
    Ann/Anne/Anna
    Margaret
    Catherine/Katherine
    Jane

Can't think of any more right now, unfortunately...
    ~Love names, literature, royals and horses~ <3

Favourite names:
    Girls: Azalea, Cordelia, Elizabeth, Rosalind, Scarlett, Portia, Felicity, Juliet
    Boys: Fitzwilliam, Sebastian, Percival, Prospero, Orlando, Darcy

Classics. Just choosing a few names from my own list...

Boys: Alexander, Benjamin, Charles, Edward, George, Henry, James, Samuel, Thomas, William.

Girls: Alice, Charlotte, Daphne, Elizabeth, Grace, Jane, Katherine, Margaret, Rose, Susannah.
    Audrey - Beatrice - Clara - Daphne - Flora - Jane - Mabel - Susannah

Arthur - Barnaby - Edward - Frederick - Henry - Rupert - Theodore - Walter

Right...so that's the thing, timeless and classic aren't the same. A timeless name has been in use and varies in popularity. Obviously some of them are classics: Mary, Elizabeth, James, William, etc.
    But the idea of the timeless list of names is that you don't know the age of person with said name. And this isn't purely an Anglo thing, either. For example, Jose and Juan and Pablo were all on the list.
    Baby name wizard says both Elliott and Emmett are timeless, I suppose because it could be name of and old man or newborn. Clearly this varies by region, but any other thoughts on these particular names?

http://nameberry.com/blog/classic-bo...truly-timeless

Nameberry says they are.

So is August, a huge favourite of mine which I originally fell in love with due to a Civil War-era abolitionist. But I doubt August would make the classic list most people sketch out with John/William/Henry and neither does Emmett or Elliott.

On the other hand, there are names I love that I see in this thread that I still don't think of as timeless, because I don't know any Baby Boomers by them, only the really-old or younger people. Susannah's classic (and gorgeous) but it's not timeless, to me, because from 1940-1975 she was probably a Susan or a Suzanne or something and Susannah's not always in the Top Thousand.