Names Searched Right Now:
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bonfireazalea View Post
    I'm Canadian, and mostly proud of it, but not when it comes to the lack of this kind of knowledge from most people here! I'm a total Anglophile, read English newspapers as often as Canadian or American ones, most of my favourite actors are British by birth or ethnicity, etc. and kinda interested in geography in general. So I do know the difference between England (and Scotland/Wales/N. Ireland/Ireland), Great Britain, and the UK. But I did have to look it up on the Internet myself, I was never taught and most people I know don't know the difference.

Our mandatory history classes in elementary and high school only covered Canadian history, and other nationalities only came in when it had something to do with Canada. There were elective history courses and history was often brought up in English (literature) classes, especially since a lot of the English teachers were into history. But I've learned a lot more about history just reading and researching on my own, especially about the UK. I know people who can't name a single English or British monarch besides the current one, if that.

I live in the very multicultural Toronto area where ties to the UK are probably weaker than in many places, but yeah, the UK isn't something most people care much about.

And about Americans not knowing their geography- My friend used to live in the US and when her brother was in grade 5, his teacher asked him to explain to the class that Canada was not part of the US! I was horrified to hear that.
    I'm the same as you are with the Anglophile bit! I watch English programming far more often than anything else (Hello Skins and The Inbetweeners!).

You know, in my Geography class in grade nine, so about age 14 - one of my classmates FAILED a test on the Canadian provinces! She thought that NY was part of Canada, Alaska was part of Canada and then asked me if Montana was in Canada....I was so ashamed to even breathe in the same air as she did.
    eighteen, no babies yet, but thinking about;

~Tillie, Myrtle, Bessie, Millie, Minnie, Louisa, Amelie, Elsie, Ethel, Florence, Doris, Nellie
    Agatha, Mildred, Lillian, Eleanor, Florrie, Betsy, Violet, Esme, Daisy, Poppy, Martha, Beatrice~

~Neville, Matthew, Richard, Ernest, Alfie, Thomas, Walter, Louis, Christopher, Henry, Harry
    James, Albert, Joshua, Percy, Freddie, Andrew, George, Kit, Edward, Mark, Kieran, Emery, Tristan~

Quote Originally Posted by lawsonhaley View Post
    LOL that made me laugh because....I'm eligible for British citizenship, but I was born and raised in Canada, as was my mum and dad (my mum's parents came over about 3 years before she was born). Haha. I see it as like, if you have enough British in you to be eligible for citizenship, you can easily enough call yourself 'British' or English, or Irish, or what have you.
    I didn't know it was that easy to get a dual citizenship (by descent)? That's really interesting because loads of Canadians I know have British-born grandparents... do you have to like, live in the UK for a certain amount of time? I'm eligible for a dual Irish-British citizenship but I think I have to move to the Republic of Ireland for a year or something.

My cousin was born in the UK, and despite living there, having entirely British parents and growing up on British TV she claims she's entirely Canadian! She's 15 and spent 4-ish years in the UK - Liverpool, actually (aren't your great grandparents from Liverpool?) It's one of my favourite places.
    close to my heart ★ Billie Cordelia - Jemima Eilidh - May Margaret - Estella Agnes - Jessamine Martha
    Emmett Jack - Alec Huw - Wilfred Nicholas - Rufus Kielder - Harrison Tadhg - Robert Fox - Wes Oberon

unusable-beautiful; Virginia Eseld & Dolores Eithne . ''She was Lo, plain Lo, in the morning, standing four feet ten in one sock. She was Lola in slacks. She was Dolly at school. She was Dolores on the dotted line'. 'olivia; ''somewhat of an enigma'' (http://bigsistercomplex.tumblr.com/)

Quote Originally Posted by oliviasarah View Post
    I didn't know it was that easy to get a dual citizenship (by descent)? That's really interesting because loads of Canadians I know have British-born grandparents... do you have to like, live in the UK for a certain amount of time? I'm eligible for a dual Irish-British citizenship but I think I have to move to the Republic of Ireland for a year or something.

My cousin was born in the UK, and despite living there, having entirely British parents and growing up on British TV she claims she's entirely Canadian! She's 15 and spent 4-ish years in the UK - Liverpool, actually (aren't your great grandparents from Liverpool?) It's one of my favourite places.
    I believe you have to have a parent, grandparent or spouse with UK citizenship, my nana never went for her Canadian citizenship. Yes, my grandfather's family is from Liverpool, as is my best friend My nana's family is from the London - Kent area, her mother's father (the Lillian Vera I've mentioned a lot) was the head groomsmen for the Royal family in the 1900's, from what I've been told, ha. England is basically running through my veins, and my mum and I both class England as our homes, as we have a lot of extended family there, and her entire family history (so half of mine) is residing in England as well.
    eighteen, no babies yet, but thinking about;

~Tillie, Myrtle, Bessie, Millie, Minnie, Louisa, Amelie, Elsie, Ethel, Florence, Doris, Nellie
    Agatha, Mildred, Lillian, Eleanor, Florrie, Betsy, Violet, Esme, Daisy, Poppy, Martha, Beatrice~

~Neville, Matthew, Richard, Ernest, Alfie, Thomas, Walter, Louis, Christopher, Henry, Harry
    James, Albert, Joshua, Percy, Freddie, Andrew, George, Kit, Edward, Mark, Kieran, Emery, Tristan~

Quote Originally Posted by lawsonhaley View Post
    I'm the same as you are with the Anglophile bit! I watch English programming far more often than anything else (Hello Skins and The Inbetweeners!).

You know, in my Geography class in grade nine, so about age 14 - one of my classmates FAILED a test on the Canadian provinces! She thought that NY was part of Canada, Alaska was part of Canada and then asked me if Montana was in Canada....I was so ashamed to even breathe in the same air as she did.
    I don't watch TV shows in general, I have this weird commitment issue where I watch a couple episodes one day and don't necessarily want to watch that show again for awhile, by which time I've forgotten what happened! I watch the entire P&P miniseries (the BBC one) in one day, haha. But movies, definitely. I listen to music from all over the world, and not necessarily in English either (I'm okay with not understanding it if it sounds pretty).

I always wished I could lay claim to English heritage, haha. Nope, as far as my parents know our family is 100% of Chinese descent. I was born in Canada though and have never lived anywhere else, so it drives me bonkers when I say I'm Canadian and people say where are you actually from. Um, I was born in Canada, where else could I be from?

And... wow. Just, WOW. There are only 10 provinces and 3 territories, even if you didn't know them before it's not that hard to memorize them for a test! If there were like a hundred, okay makes sense you'd forget some. The sad part isn't even that so many people don't know, it's that they're okay with being so ignorant.
    ~Love names, literature, royals and horses~ <3

Favourite names:
    Girls: Azalea, Cordelia, Elizabeth, Rosalind, Portia, Felicity, Juliet, Scarlett
    Boys: Fitzwilliam, Sebastian, Percival, Prospero, Orlando, Darcy

Quote Originally Posted by oliviasarah View Post
    If you were born and raised in Canada, you're not Irish! Or English! Stop! It's probably more excusable in Canada where many have British-born grandparents, but still.
    Ack that annoys me a lot, especially when it comes to names. Being 'English' because your great great granny came over from England 100 years ago does not qualify you to give a English perspective on names. There have been a couple of times when a non-UK user has 'corrected' me on something British. Yeah 'cause I know jack sh!t, having lived here my entire life. Half the time these people know very little about British life, culture, politics or geography. I don't mean to be rude, but no matter how much you look up a place on t'internet or watch it on telly, you have no idea of the lifestyle until you've lived there a long while.

The one that both confuses and entertains me is WASPy. I only learnt this recently, but the AS is for Anglo-Saxon. Anglo-Saxon! WTH?! Why are people trying to associate themselves with a race that hasn't existed for 1000 years?!
    William ♠ Thomas ♠ Peter ♠ Henry ~ Rose ♠ Alice ♠ Ivy ♠ Lowenna
    Mowesi ~ Henwyn Kernewek ~ Mebyon