Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Malou

Malou

How is this name pronounced? Is it like may-loo or muh-loo? Also, how usable is Malou in the US? Any thoughts are welcome. Thinking of honoring a Lou and want something unexpected. Thanks.
    Mom to Emberlee Shea. Expecting #2 Aug 2014.

I'm not sure but to read it, I say Mah-Lou

I'd say ma-lou. Reminds me of the song "Skip To My Lou"... Lou Lou Skip To "MyLou"" (when singing the song, I always hear it as one word and it sounds like ma-lou).
    Current favorites:
    Cora . Louisa . Lydia . Mary

My Adoption Journey

It's pronounced mah-lou (the first syllable as in "father"). I think it's usable in the US, though it might get mispronounced a lot. There's also Milou and Lilou, if you want something unexpected but more straight-forward, pronunciation-wise.
    Arabella, Thibault, Sophia, Alfred, Eleanor, Rémi, Charlotte, Achille, Olivia, Clement, Elizabeth, Frederick, Maud, Benedict, Adèle.

Ma-loo, rhyming with Baloo from jungle book (or rhyming with balloon without an N, I guess). I've seen names similar to this cropping up in the top French names lately, as lou is getting popular there, along with names like Marilou.

I think it's very sweet. I second the suggestion to consider the Milou spelling if you want muh-LOO. If you want MAY-loo, I'd go with Mae-Lou or May-Lou.

You might have to explain the pronunciation and spelling whichever way you cut it, but I find it very usable and wearable.
    Girls:
    Nickname-able: Susanna, Johanna, Paloma, Lucille, Harriet, Beatrix, Rosemary, Juniper, Marigold, Annabeth, Gwendolen, Kathleen, Tabitha
    Short and to-the-point: Flora, Jane, Laura, Anne, Cecile, Susan, Kaia

Boys:
    So much easier: Hugh/Hugo, Wilfred, Basil, Augustin, Edmund, Arlo, Timothy, Frederick