Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rosa

Rosa

I have long loved American "black" history and have starting loving the name Rosa which is vintage and sweet to me. I like Rose but tend to prefer over the top a ending names (like I prefer Rosalia to Rosalie). I'm not Italian or Spanish and live in Australia.

Does Rosa work?
    ☆Isobel★Eloise☆Matilda★Alice☆Eleanor★ Amelia☆ Elena★Mirabel☆ Felicity★Phoebe ☆Eilidh ★Rosalia☆Roisin★Azalea☆Elsa★Arabella☆ Genevieve★Elodie☆Tallulah★Ruby☆
    ★☆★
    ☆Eamon★Tiago☆Cooper★Jack☆Jago★Flynn☆ Archer★Lincoln☆Asher★Alfie☆Taylor★Baxter ☆Finnian★Lawson☆Jasper★Lewis ★Oscar☆Fletcher★Caspian☆Miller★
    babynameobsessed.worpress.com

Of course it works, it's beautiful. Even for us Aussies

Why not Rosalia nicknames Rosa if you're worried, then?

Of course Rosa works! Rosa is beautiful. I greatly prefer it to just Rose. A distant relative adopted a daughter a few years ago and named her Rosa. It's so young and fresh.

Enjoying being a newlywed..................................................... .....................
    Elena | Clara | Ruby | Elizabeth | Juliet | Anastasia | Cordelia
    Henry | Lucas | Nathaniel | Isaac | Phillip | Caspian | Everett
    .....................................................but dreaming of little ones down the road.

Rosa is a great name. However, Rosa Parks isn't the only frilly name you could choose. Araminta was Harriet Tubman's first name, So both her birth name her taken-name are better examples and more in the category of being over the top than Rosa.

Rosa tends to be a Dulcet dainty (short and Sweet), with a slight Southern Belle and slight frilly nature to it without being over the top. Augusta and Louisa would be other alternatives to help you get to that over the top feel that you mentioned loving and maintain honoring women of Black history month. If you like Rosa, again, its a wonderful name, but not one I would consider over the top. Personally, I can see Rosa being a strong name, because of the root meaning is horse, but most do not see the horse connection, so it generally seen light and dainty. Though with the horse connect it gives the name some strength, durability, but doesn't sound harsh or masculine rolling off the tongue. It is one of those names that is layered rich with history and root meanings, lending to its sustainability. It is generally what I call the perfectly balanced name, an all around name that sounds lovely with age.

Oh and Here on Nameberry, when one says "over the top" it tend to mean Lavish, Frilly, fusty and sometimes a bit of a clunker. Examples: Araminta, Georgiana, Vesperina, Doveva, Arabella, Rosamund, Drucilla, Aurelia, Corisande, Camilla, Artemisia, Bathsheba, Clarimond, Brademante, Mirabella, Dulcibella, Richenza, Aphelinia, Hermione, Loveday, Aurora, Amabel, Dorigen, Zezolla, Galatia Leocadia, Belphoebe, Amorette. Andromeda and the list can go on and on but this gives you an idea.

Best wishes :-)
    Tcc

I meant Rosa was more frilly then Rose and would normally choose the A ending to the e ending
    I don't like totally over the top names but my favourites tend to have 3 syllables.
    ☆Isobel★Eloise☆Matilda★Alice☆Eleanor★ Amelia☆ Elena★Mirabel☆ Felicity★Phoebe ☆Eilidh ★Rosalia☆Roisin★Azalea☆Elsa★Arabella☆ Genevieve★Elodie☆Tallulah★Ruby☆
    ★☆★
    ☆Eamon★Tiago☆Cooper★Jack☆Jago★Flynn☆ Archer★Lincoln☆Asher★Alfie☆Taylor★Baxter ☆Finnian★Lawson☆Jasper★Lewis ★Oscar☆Fletcher★Caspian☆Miller★
    babynameobsessed.worpress.com