Results 1 to 5 of 7
March 12th, 2014 11:25 PM #1Member
- Join Date
- Apr 2013
Florence, Annabel, Isaline or something else? Baby #3 and we need inspiration!
We've began TTC #3 if you've been following my numerous past threads - and thank you very much, NB, you've certainly helped curve our varying tastes into a more specific style which is...
PAN-EUROPEAN! Something that will work in both English and French, but without sounding *too* English or *too* French, and preferably with a slightly Romantic feel. Our DCs are Juliet and Leo (yes, his name is pronounced differently in France - we messed up with the first, bless him! But Juliet has had no difficulties).
So, our current thoughts for the next...
1) Annabel is DH's favourite and proven to be the top choice on NB but I'm not fully on board. Annabel is just a bit bland for me... I'm rooting for Annabella if anything, which he finds too much. I don't like the nns Annie or Bella, Nell is sort of cute but just not my child's name. I just don't love Annabel.
2) Secondly, we've got Florence. This is super trendy in the UK right now so I want to avoid that, but it's one we both genuinely love. Having said that, the place-name thing bothers me a bit too... we don't really have a connection to Florence itself at all, and I'm worried that in France people will think she's named after the city (she wouldn't be, at all).
3) Isaline is another one we both agree on, but it's said differently in the UK/France which is an issue (EE-szah-LEEN vs. IZ-uh-lyne). Plus it's overly French.
4) Finally, Sixtine. Pronounced SEES-TEEN in France, it's my all time favourite - I had my heart set on this for Juliet. Obvious problems: it's way too French, has massive pn/spelling issues not to mention language issues (imagine her 16th birthday - awkward). Terribly unusable for a half-English baby, but so frustrating! I just feel like I married a Frenchman already, let me have my baby Sixtine! haha). It will almost definitely be in the middle spot (or one of, if we choose two).
Others we've thought about quite seriously: Raphaela, Sofia, Agatha/Agathe, Paloma/Lola, Philomen(e/a), Fenella, Erminie and Dulcie. Some are family names we just don't want to use, others are too French, too English, too popular, too weird. There's no happy medium, it feels.
So, sorry for rambling (it's the middle of the night, forgive me). Thoughts? Suggestions? I guess what we're after is a clean slate, so anything is welcome, but all input of any kind would be brilliant. Thanks again!
My darling Léonard Cyrille (Leo) 08/11
Little lady Juliet Sylvia Perrine (Letty, sometimes Rosy) 09/13
- breeding program incomplete - planning for next bebe and heading to Southern France 2016 -
Isaline / Elvira / Annabel / Erminie / Flora / Dulcie / Clotilda / Franseza - middle names Sixtine, Fenella, Juno
Bastian / Raphael / Cosmo / Theon / Bruno - middle names James, Emmanuel
March 12th, 2014 11:31 PM #3
I absolutely LOVE Isaline (both pronunciations!) It can feel overly French, but hey, like you said, you married a French guy, you can totally get away with it. Florence I have always disliked, and it definitely feels frumpy next to Juliet. Annabel is nice enough, but has nowhere near the distinctive, shiny quality that Isaline does. How did the multiple pronunciations thing work out with your son? If you think it's too difficult, I'd just reinforce the French pronunciation from day one, and I think it's a unique enough name that people will roll with it.Gwen
College student, bookworm, terrible influence.
Owner of a cat: Minerva "Minnie"
Odette • Cosima • Fionnuala • Iphigenia • Coraline
Emmett • Kieran • August • Malcolm • Zephyr
March 13th, 2014 12:49 AM #5Senior Member
- Join Date
- Jul 2013
March 13th, 2014 11:38 AM #7
March 13th, 2014 11:45 AM #9