Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Certain "names" in the database that don't seem like names at all

Looking through the database, I've found some "names" that I wouldn't consider usable at all. Lancashire, Canada, Bird, Season, Fidelity? I don't really consider them names, they're just words to me. I feel like by including them Nameberry is legitimizing if not encouraging their use as names, and I'm not sure that's a good thing.
    ~Love names, literature, royals and horses~ <3

Favourite names:
    Girls: Azalea, Cordelia, Elizabeth, Rosalind, Scarlett, Portia, Felicity, Juliet
    Boys: Fitzwilliam, Sebastian, Percival, Prospero, Orlando, Darcy

Agreed. For example, Banana is a name, according to Nameberry. Just because one person uses a ridiculous word as a name doesn't mean it's a name.
    TTC #1

Audrey - Beatrice - Clara - Daphne - Jane - Margaret - Susannah - Violet

August - Barnaby - Edward - Frederick - Henry - Rupert - Theodore - Walter

Hahaha, I go through this a lot with my sister. Some personal faves:

Glimmer (...........Sparkal's sister?)
    Banana (All I think of is Phoebe from Friends becoming Princess Conseula Banana Hammock)
    Lancashire (Although I saw it in a birth announcement from the London Telegraph)
    Bird (Birdie, yes, Bird? No.)
    Cougar
    Future
    Renesmee (ew, ew, ew, ew, EWWW)
    Katniss (All I hear is 'cat p***')
    Hi
    Madog
    Essex (anything with 'sex' in it should be off limits)

Best one that isn't on NB that I've seen has got to be Shampayne though.
    Ladies: Florence•Amelia•Daisy•Martha•Millie•Scar lett•Sophia•Poppy•Freya•Amelie•Maisie• Olivia•Charlotte•Imogen•Harriet
    Evie•Lillian•Isabelle•Ella•Louisa•Eleano r•Violet•Lucy•Annabelle•Phoebe•Elsie•M innie•Matilda•Grace•Evelyn•Pixie

Gentlemen: Albert•Matthew•Henry•Louis•William•Harry •Teddy•James•Charlie•Christopher• Ernest•Andrew•Adam•Thomas•Alfie
    Edward•Archie•Daniel•Harrison•George•Sta nley•Joel•Rafferty•Michael•Samuel•Winsto n•Freddie•Darcy

I find Lancashire hilarious. And Essex. Just... no. I wonder what else is listed - Glasgow? Newcastle? Shropshire? Peterborough?

I think the Princess Consuella reference is a strong enough pop culture tie for Banana to stay (we could even add Crap Bag? ''If you need a way to remember it, just think of a bag of crap'' I've actually cried of laughter at that scene)

And Camera. Camera is listed on a namesite, as a name. Let's just all take a moment... Camera. Camera.
    Last edited by oliviasarah; March 13th, 2014 at 12:33 AM.
    ★ O L I V I A ★
    (seventeen, student / traveller, obsessively maternal and owner of darling black cat Shura)

Emmett - Alec - Rufus - Wilfred - Eoghan
    Trudie - Fenella - Aoife - Jemima - Eilidh

I think Bird is fine. There are plenty of bird names in use, and people use Wolf and Fox and Bear, so why not Bird? I'm also about 90% positive that Madog is the original spelling of Madoc...

But yes, I agree that there are words (and their misspellings) in the database that shouldn't be there.
    Emily • Nineteen • United States
    ♂ | Samuel Edward George Arthur Ezra Gideon James
    ♀ | Jane Helen Anne Cora Phoebe Gwen Caroline