Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bonfireazalea View Post
    Looking through the database, I've found some "names" that I wouldn't consider usable at all. Lancashire, Canada, Bird, Season, Fidelity? I don't really consider them names, they're just words to me. I feel like by including them Nameberry is legitimizing if not encouraging their use as names, and I'm not sure that's a good thing.
    Yeah... I love this site, but I've often thought the same thing. I think there should be a 'history of usage'* behind each name that makes it into the database. I don't think mispellings should be there either. Instead, they should follow the traditional name in the information like:

CAITLIN (other spellings include...)

Some people - not everyone - will see a 'name' on a website and take every fact about it as verbatim. I would love it if Nameberry could become the most legit source for genuine names on the internet.

*ie a figure like... 100 or more children in more than one country in one year having the name.
    Last edited by renrose; March 13th, 2014 at 12:06 PM.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

Quote Originally Posted by oliviasarah View Post
    It was used by a photographer and I'm guessing not coincidentally. Maybe they pronounced it like Tamara, but it's not more of a legitimate name if you change the pn of a random word.
    Agreed... It's definitely not legit.

Even Nameberry says this: "...pioneered word names when he used this for his daughter".

From Arthur Ashe's wikipedia page: "She was named Camera after her mother's profession."
    Current favorites:
    Cora . Louisa . Lydia . Mary

My Adoption Journey

I like Season, but Hi and Person and Banana should not be names. At all. Enough said.
    Merry Christmas
    Dios te ama tanto que envió a su Hijo
    Chuck, Seymour
    Peggy

@oliviasarah, sorry for being unclear. Of course it's not coincidental that they used the word Camera as a name. I wasn't saying they changed the pronunciation of the word "camera" to make a name, though. I just meant that I've met people named Tamara/Tamera that pronounce their names in a way that rhymes with "camera." Some people say their name is "TAM-ruh" instead of "Tam-AH-ruh" or "Tam-EHR-uh". So, to me, it sounds like Camera could be a name, because I've met two women named "TAM-ruh".

All highly subjective, folks. No need to get upset. The idea of having the more objective criterion that at least 100 children in a given country must have a name for something to qualify as such is interesting, but it seems like it would be tough to verify (even in the internet age). I will do some poking around and see how viable this idea is. Maybe a caveat to that 100-child rule could be that if a celebrity (or HBO series writer, in the case of Khaleesi) deems something a name, then it is going to be a good idea to have a searchable entry on this site. Celebrities keep thwarting people's efforts by naming their kids Inspector Gadget, North South West, etc! And silly Barbara Kingsolver, whom I love, naming her characters things like Orleanna Price and Dellarobia Turnbow.
    Mom to James Daniel (10) William Joseph (9), Elise Marie (7), and Zachary Allan (1)
    http://letterstoauntkay.blogspot.com/

TTC #5
    Claire, Sally, Adele, Anne, Cecilia, Serena (Seri), Audrey, Rose, Naomi, Maisie, Kate, Rosetta, Lucy, Linnea
    Thomas, Paul, Henry, Miles, Arthur, Samuel, Seth

DH's "approved" list:
    Alison (Allie), Claire, Seri, Naomi, Amy, Diana, Lucy, Kate/Katie/Katherine, Audrey
    Thomas ("maybe")

@raevynstar, are you too young to remember Hi and Lois, or is that comic still around? Do people get newspapers anymore? Man, I'm old!
    Mom to James Daniel (10) William Joseph (9), Elise Marie (7), and Zachary Allan (1)
    http://letterstoauntkay.blogspot.com/

TTC #5
    Claire, Sally, Adele, Anne, Cecilia, Serena (Seri), Audrey, Rose, Naomi, Maisie, Kate, Rosetta, Lucy, Linnea
    Thomas, Paul, Henry, Miles, Arthur, Samuel, Seth

DH's "approved" list:
    Alison (Allie), Claire, Seri, Naomi, Amy, Diana, Lucy, Kate/Katie/Katherine, Audrey
    Thomas ("maybe")