Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Too Close in Sound?

What's your rule for names that share a sound?
    When are two (or more) names too close to use them together?
    At what point would you eliminate one?

I'm not talking about Rosalie & Coralie, Amelie & Emily or Nora & Flora, that share half their letters, sound almost identical or rhyme.
    But rather about sets like Rosalie & Ophelia, Leonor & Flora or Clara & Leonora which share a letter combination/sound.

Do you think they are too close or would they work as sisters?
    Last edited by opheliaflora; March 12th, 2014 at 07:42 PM.
    Ophelia | Elliott

Aurora + Theo + Penelope + Arhur + Flora

I think if they have nn that could be the same, they are too close. My example is i love Eliana and Aviana but what if they both wanna be called Ana? From yours all of them are fine and super cute! Also if they end too close for you, do a variation or make them double barrel/combined names
    No babies anytime soon... Just planning ahead (VERY far ahead)

Beyond the obvious sharing the nickname or sharing the same beginning (beyond the first letter) or ending (this pertains to sound more than anything), I think it becomes very specific.

Regarding your examples:

Rosalie & Ophelia -- this totally works in my opinion and actually the little they share in common actually is what makes them sound good together.

Leonor & Flora -- The OR sound when encountered in a name is very prominent to me. It stands out and so makes these two too similar for my liking. It makes it sound like a person wanted their children's names to "match" without rhyming. Not a bad thing, just not my style.

Clara & Leonora -- Again, they share very little in common. They both end in 'ra' but don't share the same overall ending sound. In this case it's more "ara" vs. "ora".

Again, becomes a kind of case by case thing. Otherwise, I think sometimes names that start and end with the same letter and have the same number of syllables can create a situation where they are just too close, too matchy: Makes them sound like twins to me. Audra & Andra. Is this awful? Absolutely not. Just again, not my style. I like a little more distinction.
    Last edited by aym; March 12th, 2014 at 07:51 PM.

Rosalie & Ophelia, Leonor & Flora or Clara & Leonora are all fine to me.
    ★ O L I V I A ★
    (seventeen, student / traveller, obsessively maternal and owner of darling black cat Shura)

Emmett - Alec - Rufus - Wilfred - Eoghan
    Trudie - Fenella - Aoife - Jemima - Eilidh

Quote Originally Posted by aym View Post
    Beyond the obvious sharing the nickname or sharing the same beginning (beyond the first letter) or ending (this pertains to sound more than anything), I think it becomes very specific.

Regarding your examples:

Rosalie & Ophelia -- this totally works in my opinion and actually the little they share in common actually is what makes them sound good together.

Leonor & Flora -- The OR sound when encountered in a name is very prominent to me. It stands out and so makes these two too similar for my liking. It makes it sound like a person wanted their children's names to "match" without rhyming. Not a bad thing, just not my style.

Clara & Leonora -- Again, they share very little in common. They both end in 'ra' but don't share the same overall ending sound. In this case it's more "ara" vs. "ora".

Again, becomes a kind of case by case thing. Otherwise, I think sometimes names that start and end with the same letter and have the same number of syllables can create a situation where they are just too close, too matchy: Makes them sound like twins to me. Audra & Andra. Is this awful? Absolutely not. Just again, not my style. I like a little more distinction.
    I actually always thought that Rosalie and Ophelia sound closer than Flora and Leonor.
    I'm glad that most of you think that said sets work together because I get bothered when names sound too close and don't want to be a hypocrite, doing the exact same thing.
    (I'm years away from having kids but still...)

If anyone else want to share their opinion, I'd be glad.
    Ophelia | Elliott

Aurora + Theo + Penelope + Arhur + Flora