Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Nancy?

Nancy?

Hi everyone,

I have been having a hard time trying to find a way to honor my grandmother Nancy and my DH's grandmother Nan. To me the name Nancy just can't shake off the dust of the past. I thought about using Nanette (I actually like the sound), but Nameberry says,

"There was a time when French names like Annette, Paulette -- and Nanette -- were chic, but now, we'd have to say "No, no, Nanette"."

Now I am not sure about using Nanette.

What do you guys think about Nacy? Is it still too "old-lady."
    Would you also have to say "no no" to Nanette as well?
    Do you have any suggestions for names that could honor Nan and Nancy?

Thank you!!
    --Guys--
    Dean, Ernest, Harrison, Jude, Samson, Theodore

--Dolls--
    Dahlia, Georgia, Jane, Leona, Ramona, Violet

I LOVE Nancy! It's so gorgeous and sweet, and works really with with Flora, Charlotte, Violet, Fern and Ramona from your signature.

Nancy is a diminutive of Anne, so any Anne names would work
    "But while some of the brightest of our celestial bodies are actually extinct now, their energy long since cooled, but miraculously, because they float in the heavens so far away from us now, their beautiful light will continue to shine on us forever, and the glow will be so bright, it'll warm your heart, it'll make your eyes glisten, and it'll make you think to yourselves, what a concept"

Nancy was my grandmother's name too! I have a very soft spot for it and was strongly considering it as a middle name, though honestly the more I considered it as a middle the more it grew on me as a first.

I dislike any longer ways to get Nancy as a nickname, vastly preferring Nancy as a standalone. My grandmother was a very vivacious woman and so she never struck me as an old lady. My only other associations with the name are the amazing Nancy Drew and a lovely character in Charles Dickens' "Oliver Twist"! So that's all to say that I don't think it's too old lady. I think it's a sweet, slightly spunky, and vintage name.

I think any Anna or Ann name could have Nancy as a nickname as it's considered a diminutive of them. Agnes is another.

Quote Originally Posted by lawsonhaley View Post
    I LOVE Nancy! It's so gorgeous and sweet, and works really with with Flora, Charlotte, Violet, Fern and Ramona from your signature.

Nancy is a diminutive of Anne, so any Anne names would work
    Thank you for your response!

I am so glad you don't think Nancy is dusty. I really like the sound, I was just worried about it sounding too old for a child. It's funny you say that Nancy goes well with Ramona. Ramona is my grandmother's sister
    --Guys--
    Dean, Ernest, Harrison, Jude, Samson, Theodore

--Dolls--
    Dahlia, Georgia, Jane, Leona, Ramona, Violet

Nancy feels really dated for me, so... a no. I like Nanette better.
    Maybe you like:
    Annabel
    Nanna
    Nanine
    Ferdinanda
    Tiernan
    ~Liesl

Thisbe Nathalia Primrose ~ Helen Guinevere Mathilde ~ Ramona Lily Harper
    Arthur Victor Michiel ~ Connor Lucas Jacob ~ Iann Hidde Crispin

Other names: Edith ~ Claire ~ Agnes ~ Margot ~ Quinten ~ Henry ~ Lancelot