Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Nancy?

Nancy?

Hi everyone,

I have been having a hard time trying to find a way to honor my grandmother Nancy and my DH's grandmother Nan. To me the name Nancy just can't shake off the dust of the past. I thought about using Nanette (I actually like the sound), but Nameberry says,

"There was a time when French names like Annette, Paulette -- and Nanette -- were chic, but now, we'd have to say "No, no, Nanette"."

Now I am not sure about using Nanette.

What do you guys think about Nacy? Is it still too "old-lady."
    Would you also have to say "no no" to Nanette as well?
    Do you have any suggestions for names that could honor Nan and Nancy?

Thank you!!
    --Guys--
    Dean, Ernest, Harrison, Jude, Samson, Theodore

--Dolls--
    Dahlia, Georgia, Jane, Leona, Ramona, Violet

I LOVE Nancy! It's so gorgeous and sweet, and works really with with Flora, Charlotte, Violet, Fern and Ramona from your signature.

Nancy is a diminutive of Anne, so any Anne names would work

♂: Neville | Matthew | Ernest | Alfie | Louis | Christopher | Harry | James | Albert | Andrew

♀: Doris | Eleanor | Violet | Lillian | Florence | Martha | Minnie | Agatha | Freya |

Nancy was my grandmother's name too! I have a very soft spot for it and was strongly considering it as a middle name, though honestly the more I considered it as a middle the more it grew on me as a first.

I dislike any longer ways to get Nancy as a nickname, vastly preferring Nancy as a standalone. My grandmother was a very vivacious woman and so she never struck me as an old lady. My only other associations with the name are the amazing Nancy Drew and a lovely character in Charles Dickens' "Oliver Twist"! So that's all to say that I don't think it's too old lady. I think it's a sweet, slightly spunky, and vintage name.

I think any Anna or Ann name could have Nancy as a nickname as it's considered a diminutive of them. Agnes is another.

Quote Originally Posted by lawsonhaley View Post
    I LOVE Nancy! It's so gorgeous and sweet, and works really with with Flora, Charlotte, Violet, Fern and Ramona from your signature.

Nancy is a diminutive of Anne, so any Anne names would work
    Thank you for your response!

I am so glad you don't think Nancy is dusty. I really like the sound, I was just worried about it sounding too old for a child. It's funny you say that Nancy goes well with Ramona. Ramona is my grandmother's sister
    --Guys--
    Dean, Ernest, Harrison, Jude, Samson, Theodore

--Dolls--
    Dahlia, Georgia, Jane, Leona, Ramona, Violet

Nancy feels really dated for me, so... a no. I like Nanette better.
    Maybe you like:
    Annabel
    Nanna
    Nanine
    Ferdinanda
    Tiernan
    ~Liesl

Thisbe Nathalia Primrose ~ Helen Guinevere Mathilde ~ Ramona Lily Harper
    Arthur Victor Michiel ~ Connor Lucas Jacob ~ Iann Hidde Crispin

Other names: Edith ~ Claire ~ Agnes ~ Margot ~ Quinten ~ Henry ~ Lancelot