Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Twins

Twins

My husband and I don't know the sexes of our twins yet, but have already picked out 2 boys names. Our problem is girl names. We can't find a single one we both like and agree on. I am Swedish and am looking for scandanavian names that can also work in the USA. Right now we need two girls and then also between those names which one we would pair with our boy name of Viggo (in case it's 1 boy and 1 girl). Any suggestions?! FYI DH does not like Elin (which I love). I also really like Ingrid, but he's not crazy about it. I love Freya, but DH says no F names for girls. We both like Sanna, but are worried it won't be pronounced correctly here. Thanks!

I had a student named Malin (prn Mah-lin for those not familiar) last year, and I definitely think it works in the US. Especially with actress Malin Ackerman. I loved her and I loved her name!
    Proud Mommy to Maeby Alana (8/6/10) and Saela Eliza (6/24/14)

Marlow Simone - Romy Corinne
    Zefram Eli - Miles Thatcher

I like Sari, Eeva, Riita, and sorry I'm not familiar w/more names from that region. Thora? I wouldn't worry so much about pronunciation issues--people can be corrected/educated.

Is Sanna like Anna with an s? If so, I think pronunciation would be fine. Viggo and Sanna is cute!

Some other names:
    Alida
    Astrid
    Britta
    Carina
    Elsa
    Helena
    Irena
    Karin
    Karina
    Katrine
    Lena
    Rae
    Sibella
    Vera
    Viveca
    Trying for #1!

Current favorites.... <3

Leo ~ Alaric ~ Landon ~ Ronan ~ Breccan ~ Declan ~ Corin ~ Evander ~ Rhys

Eliette ~ Wren ~ Aliara ~ Bria ~ Eleri ~ Brielle ~ Brinna ~ Aria ~ Meliara

A baby tomorrow would be named.... <3

~ Landon Matthew ~ ~ Brinna Rose ~

Astrid is a lovely name but there is easily made fun of in a very bad way.... But I'm not sure how much you are worried about that. Sanna probably won't be pronounced correctly...but I'm not sure how much that means to you. Depending on where you live people will likely have trouble with pronouncing most traditional Swedish names properly, even with reminding and even with effort but if you don't mind a something close...I'd recommend maybe choosing something that you like pronounced both the Swedish way and the local American way. Americans don't pronounce our common names the same either mostly. Like Helena, which has 3 valid ways of being pronounced. Or Clara, which has 2 American pronunciations Klara is a variation that people wouldn't bat an eye at but would probably misspell. Ingrid is a nice name and familiar here. Alice is #1 in Sweden and popular but not overly common here. Also one of the names with a common American pronunciation.

Names to consider that aren't too unfamiliar to American ears...but the more vowels the more likely the mispronunciation. Stars indicate names that have a fairly standard pronunciation here..how much that compares to the Swedish I wouldn't know.

Annika
    Britta (I live in a historically Scandinavian area and know one person with this name, however it is the brand name of a water filter spelled Brita)
    Elina
    Elsa *
    Frida *
    Greta *
    Hanna *
    Ida
    Johanna *
    Karina *
    Kirsten *
    Lina
    Linnea
    Matilde (will be mistaken for Matilda, however)
    Mia *
    Minna *
    Siri *(name of an iPhone feature, however)
    Sofi
    Sonja *
    Thea *
    Thora *
    Tilda *
    Last edited by anaxandra; March 12th, 2014 at 12:59 PM.