Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

STUCK. Adele or Violet

Adele: My husband is very much in love with the name Adele, which I love too. It is a sweet simple name with an old fashion feel & is still wildly underused. I am slightly hesitant for two reasons.. It's a little TOO simple & I fear everyone is going to think we named her after a pop star.

Violet: I LOVE the name Violet. Simple sweet and old fashion... But with a little more edge to it. Maybe it's the "V"? I also love the association of flowers/gardening. All of the women on both sides of our family love to garden. My husband is not too keen on this name. But had not taken it off the table.. or I should say he did, but he let me put it back on

Which do you prefer, and why?

Both names are lovely so it depends on the mn and surname.

Adele is sweet and pretty and has a lovely literary connection (Mr Rochester's ward in Jane Eyre). Violet is a vintage flower name with a little sass. If your husband doesn't like Violet, then I would go with Adele. Is Adele Violet a combo option or have you decided to use another name in the middle spot?
    All the best,
    Mischa.

I agree with Mischa. Adele is so pretty and sweet, and I honestly don't think most people would think you named your daughter after a pop star.
    From our ancestors come our names, but from our virtues our honors. ~ Proverb

Caroline Pearl & Patrick Elliot, Catherine Maeve & Luke Donovan,
    Claire Elizabeth & Liam David, Grace Annabel & Jack Andrew

I personally prefer Violet because the bully at my high school was named Adele so that's given the name a bad association for me. I have Violet on my list and I love Mischa's suggestion of using Adele Violet as a first and middle name combination.
    All good things are wild and free.

August Leo Wilder - Caleb Orion Thomas - Flynn Alexander Bodhi
    Jasper William Finch - Brock Louis Gunnar

Emilia Grace Shiloh - Hazel Briony Ada - Luna Florence Olive - Iris Matilda Joy

Sorry for any typos or grammar errors.

I like both, though I prefer Violetta over Violet. Perhaps Adele Violetta or Adela Violet?

If you think Adele is a little too simple, perhaps Adela or Adelina with the nickname Adele? You could also be more gutsy with your middle name choice with a more simple first name:

Adele Clementine
    Adele Temperance
    Adele Magnolia
    Adele Cosima
    Adele Primrose
    Adele Astoria
    Adele Scotia
    jessamyn

Violetta Coraline Isla Cordelia Alice Gwyneth
    Abel Francis Linus Booker Theodore Gibson

TTC #1 October 2014