Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Elisabeth, Greta or Mercy?

I'm just in the baby fever stage...nothing official yet. I'm mulling around names in my mind and these 3 over in my mind for girl ideas. They are stylistically quite different, yet I love each of them and forgive me for the length, but I'll go into reasons in the following paragraphs (sorry for ALL the info). We have 3 kids: Samuel, Esme, and Georgia.

Elisabeth - I know it's quite popular, especially with a z, but I'm really liking the flow of it and how classic it is. Also, the older I get, the more I appreciate the classic names and in personal experience, it really doesn't bother me to come across other kids with the same names as my kids (when I first started having kids I was so worried about this for some reason). The reason for the "s" spelling is that my middle name is Elise and I prefer the "softer" spelling. Not planning on using a nickname, but we will see how that goes. The only hold back is I wonder if it's too close to Esme? Possible combos: Elisabeth Pearl, Elisabeth Blythe, Elisabeth Ruth, Elisabeth Mercy.

Greta - This is a name I've almost used for both Esme and Georgia...I love it, but apparently I'm gun-shy. I've had negative feedback from family in the past, but I find myself regretting that we didn't use it. Now I wonder if it's too similar to Georgia (which we chose as a softer alternative to Greta in the first place). This one is my husband's favorite. Possible combos: Greta Phoebe, Greta Christine, Greta Rosalind, Greta Mercy.

Mercy - And sometimes I just like to throw a monkey wrench into things...I know it's "out there" compared to other names but something about this name is just drawing me...maybe it's the meaning (compassionate), maybe it's something to aspire to, maybe it's something we all need, maybe it's because I don't hear it on the playground. Ever. Possible combos: Mercy Cordelia or Mercy Cordelia Ruth

Thoughts appreciated!

Hmm,

I love Elisabeth Pearl, but I feel as though Elisabeth and Esme are too close.

Greta is beautiful, and I really like the flow of Greta Rosalind (Greta Rosalind Elise, to combine in Elisabeth?), and normally I dislike two siblings with the same FN inital in one set, but I think Greta and Georgia are different enough.

Mercy is a lovely name, and I quite like Mercy Cordelia Ruth, but, I'm unsure on how well it works with Samuel, Esme and Georgia.

So, going by that, for me, it's:

Greta
    Mercy
    Elisabeth

Girls: Amelia, Ava, Emily, Sophia, Ella, Freya, Charlotte, Millie, Eva, Florence, Matilda, Eleanor, Martha, Violet, Clara, Betsy, Mabel, Ada, Lillian, Minnie, Tillie, Doris, Edna

Boys: Harry, Charlie, William, George, James, Alfie, Joshua, Archie, Henry, Daniel, Edward, Harrison, Adam, Matthew, Michael, Liam, Callum, Louis, Albert, Andrew, Ernest, Darcy

~no matter what anybody tells you, words and ideas can change the world~

Greta
    Elizabeth
    Mercy

In that order - although Elizabeth Pearl is beautiful - it's just too popular of a first name for me.

Elisabeth - I love the nn potential with this name. Lissy or Elise would be pretty. It a bit close to Esme for me though.

Greta - I really like this option. I think you should go for it if the idea of having to G names doesn't bother you. Georgia and Greta are much less similar than Elisabeth and Esme.

Mercy - I just don't like this. It is a little creepy to me and just doesn't fit in with your other daughter's beautiful names.

Greta! I think it goes great with your sibset and is my favorite of the 3.