Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    The meaning is incredibly important to me. I may find a name I love, but if it has a negative or something boring like "son of...", then it makes me automatically dislike it. I like names with strong, inspiring meanings, this child will carry this name for the rest of their life. I want them to hear that meaning every time they hear their name, as though it's a blessing over their life.
    For example, I love the name Charlotte, which means "strong woman". And I would love my daughter to know every time she hears her name, that she is strong.
    ~ Married ~ Planning TTC Late 2014 ~

Austen Theodore|Elliott Hezekiah

Charlotte Evangeline|Matilda Florence|Adelaide Elizabeth

Meaning of names means very little to me - it's just a bit of trivia really isn't it? Unless it's literal meaning is very significant to the child or person. Like a friend named their daughter Faith as they thought the'd never have another baby but kept on hoping and trying. But on the other hand their son is called Marshall - but I doubt that will encourage him to grow up to be a Lawman!!

Quote Originally Posted by sunkissedchild View Post
    For example, I love the name Charlotte, which means "strong woman". And I would love my daughter to know every time she hears her name, that she is strong.
    It can definitely have that personal meaning to you, but there's nothing about strength in the etymology. Charlotte just means "man", with a feminine suffix. So you could stretch and say it meant "woman", but you can't really take it any further. It's a beautiful name!

With name meanings I think to me it depends how obvious it is. Almost everyone looks up their name at some point in their lives, and it's interesting to know and nice if you find a positive meaning. But for most people Thomas does not jump out as meaning "twin" because most people don't speak Aramaic. So it doesn't really matter. It could make a cool name for a twin because of that, but most people called Thomas aren't twins and nobody bats an eyelid. Names tend to be fairly distant linguistically from the meaning in modern English. Name your child River and it's a different story from Thomas I think, because there is no linguistic distance between form and meaning so everyone will think of a river. For names like that I think generally they are chosen specifically for the meaning. Aesthetics are practically more important for most other names.

Icelandic is different because there are a lot more traditional names which are like River, i.e. they are an actual word still in the language, everyone can see immediately what they mean. Úlfur the name is exactly the same as úlfur the noun meaning "wolf", so you are very obviously naming your child after a wolf. There's one name Kolbrún that very specifically means someone with dark hair (Coal-brow), and people do tend to use it on dark-haired children, although sometimes babies' hair changes colour and some people don't care so there are still a fair few blonde Kolbrúns. When the meaning is obvious like that, I care, but when you'd have to look a name up to know what it means I'm not so bothered. For example, as an atheist, I would definitely use Matthew, but not Christian or even Christina or Christopher. I prefer the idea of secular meanings, but with a name like Matthew I don't think it's so important anymore.
    Emil - Gylfi - Haraldur - Ingimar - Ívar - Kjartan - Leó - Matthías - Orri - Óskar - Róbert - Sævar - Sverrir

Elísabet - Elva - Freyja - Ingileif - Ingunn - Ísabel - Lovísa - Lóa - Rósa - Sólveig - Svala - Ylfa

It is very important to me personally, and I definitely take it into consideration when thinking about naming children. That is why I like to really research to find all of the possible meanings of a name (my son's name means different things in different languages) and to make sure that I am not just finding the sparkly poster meaning. You know, like when people are like, "my name is Stephanie. It means Beautiful Unicorn."

BUT to most people, I really don't think it matters at all. I don't think most Claudias agonize over their names meaning "lame" and I doubt any little Kennedys are up all night wondering if they are destined for misshapen heads.

Though I do remember a few years ago, I was doing childcare for a group and all of the little girls were really into name meanings. We looked them all up and they all meant things like "noble" or "life", stuff like that. They were all around first or second grade. One of the little girls was really upset because her name didn't mean anything- but I pointed out that she is named after a place in England (Windsor) and her mother is also named after a place in England (Devon) so in a sense, she is named after her mother. It really perked her up, anyhow.

Meanings use to not matter to me, but now they kind of do. I love Marie as a first name, but I hate that it means "bitter." I keep adding and taking off Marie Anneliese to and from my list because it means "bitter resurrection." I'm a Christian, so that doesn't really sound good to me since Jesus died because He loves us. I love the way it sounds, but the meaning bothers me.
    Not expecting, just love collecting names!

My name is Erin. I am 22 years old and I have loved baby names since I was 10.

Girl names: Juliet Grace, Madeleine Hope, Linnea Ruby, Stella Rose, Emilia Colette, Clara ?, Fiona Violet, Bridget Amelia, Lydia Charlotte Eden Elizabeth, Eliza ?, Evelyn ?

Boy names: Jonathan Rhys, Wesley Drew, Evan Robert, Joel ?, Quinn ?, Dawson Cole, Griffin Miles, Judah Nathaniel, Greyson Jeremiah, Roman Isaiah