Names Searched Right Now:
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by renrose View Post
    I can't speak for Charis or Karis but Cerys and Carys are Welsh names and - as a British person - I felt compelled to stand up for their interests. I'm not stating my opinion, I was stating the truth in regards to the correct pronunciation of those names. The Welsh language comes with it's own sounds and alphabet, so when I say 'you're saying it incorrectly' I'm completely right.

There are hard sounds in the language like in the name Llewelyn which an English speaker wouldn't be able to recreate and therefore an English 'l' sound can be legitimately substituted. I'd be understanding in that case, but Carys and Cerys are very simple sounds and are not at all impossible for an English speaker's tongue to grasp.

It isn't preference with these names at all. Even 'KAR-iss' is closer to 'KAH-riss' than 'CARE-iss' is.

Do you know what cultural appropriation is? In short - in regard to names - if you take an ethnic name you like from another language and pronounce it however you want, then - even if it's not your intention to be so - you're being disrespectful to that culture.

Anyway, at the end of the day you can do whatever you like. My intention was merely to educate, not to aggravate.
    Believe me, I was aware of the name's background and origin. I don't think it's disrespectful to not pronounce the name the original way.

It's just the way I want to pronounce it because I like it along with the spelling. I'm not trying to start a fight here, and I appreciate your input, but you do not seem to understand where I'm coming from.

I am not Welsh, so therefore I do not need to pronounce Carys/Cerys that way. And even if I wish, I could still use whichever pronunciation I want.

I do familiarize myself with names before I decide to discuss them.
    Baby girl coming July 9th

Esme Francesca Gianna Charis Isis Petra Celeste Stella Audrey
    Jasmine Gwen Carmen Lola Scarlett Nadia Nadine Stephanie
    Marina Jacqueline Rhiannon Mariah Dahlia Winter Ariadne Phaedra

Yes, you've already explained how the American (think Chicago-area) propensity for long vowel sounds is an unacceptable affront to the Welsh language. (at least, that's what I gather from the "it's not an accent thing" comment) Kah-riss would sound like a midwestener was attempting to sound British. We pronounce things differently. With no intent of disrespect.
    Last edited by orchid_lover; March 4th, 2014 at 06:25 PM.

Exactly. Over in America, we tend to "American-ize" names. It is not disrespectful nor lazy.

It's just conforming it to our culture.

I guarantee you that even if I encouraged the KAH-riss pronunciation, nobody would use it.
    Baby girl coming July 9th

Esme Francesca Gianna Charis Isis Petra Celeste Stella Audrey
    Jasmine Gwen Carmen Lola Scarlett Nadia Nadine Stephanie
    Marina Jacqueline Rhiannon Mariah Dahlia Winter Ariadne Phaedra

Quote Originally Posted by orchid_lover View Post
    Yes, you've already explained how the American (think Chicago-area) propensity for long vowel sounds is an unacceptable affront to the Welsh language. (at least, that's what I gather from the "it's not an accent thing" comment) Kah-riss would sound like a midwestener was attempting to sound British.
    How would they/you pronounce words like cavalry and cascade or the name Callum, out of interest?
    Last edited by renrose; March 4th, 2014 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Added Callum.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Beta read The Self Invention: The book is now complete. All chapters are up!

I know a girl who spells it Carys. Out of your options, that's the one I think is easiest to read but also cute.
    Isaac | Aaron | Malachi | Rowan | Jonah | Zachary

Hallie | Isabelle | Phoebe | Rylee | Alexandra | Chloe | Liberty