Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

International Icelandic

I've explained before, but in short my situation is: I'm English, all my family are monolingual English speakers living in England, I live in Iceland, my partner is Icelandic, we are both fluent in the other's native language and plan to raise any children in Iceland as Icelandic-English bilinguals.

I feel like I could go in one of two directions in terms of naming strategy. Either find a very Icelandic name that looks foreign for English people, but which is fairly easy to pronounce and spell. Or find a name that is familiar and works in both languages, but which would be pronounced and maybe spelt slightly differently (plus/minus accents) in each.

So for the latter strategy these are names that I like:

Felix
    Leó
    Matthías (Matti)*
    Óskar*
    Róbert (Robbi)*
    Viktor*

Elísabet*
    Freyja*
    Rósa

Those marked with an asterisk are extremely popular, but the more I think about it the less sure I am that it bothers me. What maybe bothers me is missing an opportunity to use an incredible true-blue Icelandic name, but as I said I see it as a choice between two different strategies, for first names at least.

What do you think of these? Do any sound good together for siblings in your opinion?
    Emil - Ingimar - Kjartan - Matthías - Óskar - Róbert

Elísabet - Elva - Rósa - Sólveig - Svala - Ylfa

I think they're all great, you can't go wrong! Unless you're planning to honor family with the middle spot, you could use a VERY Icelandic name there.

I fancy these: Twila Posey, Odette Francesca, Orlaith Glimmer, Fianna Ruby, Indie Nell

Ouen Amos, Cillian Ambrose, Oswin Maverick, Casimir Orlando, Oscar Phineas  

Help "name" my puppy... - AKC names?          

I think all of the names are your list wouldn't be too bad to use. Some have k's instead of c's (Oskar), are missing one letter (Elisabet) or have an extra letter (Freyja) but I don't think it would be a huge problem for English speakers to grasp.

Sibset Suggestions

B/B/B: Felix, Leó, and Óskar OR Felix, Leó, and Viktor
    B/B: Róbert and Matthías
    B/B/G: Leó, Viktor and Freyja OR Róbert, Matthías and Elísabet
    B/G: Felix and Rósa
    All the best,
    Mischa.

I like them all, especially Felix, Matthías, and Freyja.

From your signature I love Lóa and I think it would play well in an English-speaking environment.

Quote Originally Posted by oiseau View Post
    Unless you're planning to honor family with the middle spot, you could use a VERY Icelandic name there.
    If we had a boy, he would probably have the middle name Karl for reasons of family tradition (on his side). While it's not my favourite name, I'm happy with it because it's short and classy and goes with almost everything (maybe too repetitive with Óskar though). I'd put it in the same category as these names, works in both languages but pronounced differently. Maybe that kind of puts us in a box for other second names, but going more Icelandic on the middle spot is an idea I like for girls or a second boy, so thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lumen View Post
    From your signature I love Lóa and I think it would play well in an English-speaking environment.
    Thanks, I think you're right. The great thing about Lóa is that it's a stand-alone name meaning golden plover, the migratory bird that traditionally heralds the coming of spring in Iceland (which meaning I love), but it can also be a nickname for a lot of other names, including Elísabet. I love the idea of Elísabet, nickname Lóa. I know it sounds like a stretch but it's established here, not totally out of the blue!
    Emil - Ingimar - Kjartan - Matthías - Óskar - Róbert

Elísabet - Elva - Rósa - Sólveig - Svala - Ylfa