Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Our favorites won't work

Newbie here! (and very excited to jump into things) My fiancé and I are expecting our first child in early June and we're now realizing that we have a serious girl name issue.

Together, we have 4 favorite names: Adalyn, Ava, Madeleine/Madelyn, and Sophia. All are fairly popular (may not so much Adalyn though?) and all are names we can't use My fiancé's nieces are named Ava and Sophia and my best friend has a daughter named Madalyn. So, as you can see, our favorites won't work. The real problem is we just can't agree on any other names!

Any names that you can think of that are similar in style or feel (but not sound or look) to our favorites but are completely different names? We're holding out on a nickname since we're thinking of using a name of a family member or close friend but not completely sold on the idea yet. We do have a boy name, which is Landon, if that helps and the baby's last name is similar in sound to "bowling".

Sorry this post was so long and thank you so much for your help!

Welcome and congratulations!

Adalyn, Ava, Madeleine, and Sophia all read as monikers with rich history that are also appeasing to the modern ear. Here are some names in a similar vein for inspiration purposes:

Lila
    Eva
    Mia
    Nora
    Ella
    Emmeline
    Chloe
    Audrey
    Zoe
    Amelia
    Evelyn

The first thing that comes to mind is Aveline. It's kind of a combination of Ava and Madeleine without being too similar to either.

Evangeline
    Sapphira
    Sophronia
    Seraphina/Seraphine
    Aven
    Mavis
    Elodie
    Avigail
    Matilda
    Genevieve
    Rosalie
    Vivienne
    Lucienne
    Coralie

Oops, forgot Adelaide!
    jessamyn

Violetta Coraline Isla Cordelia Alice Gwyneth
    Abel Francis Linus Booker Theodore Gibson

TTC #1 October 2014

Thank you!

I like: Lila, Mia, Nora, and Ella
    -He has an awkward association with Mia, Nora is too old sounding for him, and he just isn't sure about Ella (it "lacks" something "special")

He likes: Eva, Chloe, Zoe
    -I still think Eva is too close to Ava, especially since we see all three girls a lot and I've always gotten a snobby feel from Chloe and Zoe (probably since I've worked with snotty girls with those names)

We both like: Emmeline (we both LOVE "Emmy" but are a little iffy on Emmeline) and Audrey (and I think I could maybe get him on board with Lila)

I like: Elodie, Matilda, Genevieve, Rosalie, Lucienne, and Coralie
    -He thinks Elodie and Matilda sound too old, Genevieve sounds too over the top, he doesn't like the look of Rosalie/Lucienne/Coralie

He likes: Aveline, Sapphira, Sophronia, and Avigail
    -I still think Aveline and Avigail are too close to Ava, Sophronia is hard for me to say in general and looks really close to Sophia's name, and Sapphira sounds weird to me

Sadly, we don't agree on any I do not want any names that look or sound similar to any of our favorites (as sad as that makes me). We see Ava, Sophia, and Madalyn a lot and I don't want any confusion. I'm OK with names starting with those letters, but nothing with the same two letters or similar sounds