Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ombeline - thoughts?

Our baby is now approaching 2 weeks and we haven't chosen a name, it's getting harder each day. Fate seems to have chosen Ombeline for us, but anytime I share it with a relative they react with a disappointed "how do you spell that?" It is weird, but is it too weird?

I may just be attracted to this name because it suits all chubby babies.

What middle would you give it?
    How many syllables, and what sort of sounds compliment it?

Was thinking of Ombeline Tendra/Tindra Lucero Scholze - meaning tender/twinkling thunderstorm.

Maybe just Ombeline Lucero Scholze (Lucero is her dad's last name, Scholze is mine)

Ombeline Scholze just looks so weird on paper to me. Originally I had my heart set on Aurelia Scholze, but I think I built too much of an image for it that it didn't seem to suit my baby.

Baby has blonde hair, white eye brows and eyelashes, very dark blue eyes. Rosebud lips. Generally calm and happy. She'll grow up to be very tall, likely skinny and nordic looking. She seems like she'll be a listener like her dad. What name fits that description?
    Mother to Ombeline Althea Aurelia Tindra Lucero Scholze
    Born in February.

I have never heard of the name before. Its not even listed on this site. I had to google it. And a bunch of French sites came up, so I'm guessing its French. I'm guessing a lot of other people have also not come across this name before as well...which is why they might have hard time with pronunciation/spelling.

Personally it makes me think of "Cymbeline". Like the shakespeare play.

I still like Ombeline. Do you like Ondine or other -ine endings? I think the name Delphine is beautiful, and sounds very serene.

If you go with Ombeline, I would do a one-syllable (or maybe 2-syllable) middle name if you use both last names: Ombeline Elise Lucero Scholze (for example). If you just go with Scholze, (which I am saying in my head like "schultz" but with an "o"), then I think a 2- or 3-syllable middle sounds good: Ombeline Althea Scholze sounds fabulous, I think. But I also really love Lucero--is it an option to have that as the last name?

I wrote this on the last post but I'm not sure you saw it: if you are re-thinking Ombeline, consider Paloma! It's a beautiful, peaceful name (means "dove") AND it has an "om" in the middle of it!!! It also makes me think of the palm of one's hand... so much beautiful imagery. And it works internationally, too.
    Mom to Lucia Theodora Antoinette, born October 2012

Always on the hunt for fabulous finds, name-wise and otherwise.

Ombeline is pretty and unusual, but you seem to have some serious reservations about it. Like pp, I was also going to suggest Ondine--or maybe Sabeline/Isabelline? For what it's worth, I also really like Aurelia and think it fits your image of what she'll be like when she's older.

Whatever you decide, I'd definitely keep Tindra.
    Gwen
    College student, bookworm, terrible influence.
    Owner of a cat: Minerva "Minnie"

Current favorites:
    Mazarine Cosima Odette Ailsa Celia
    Prosper Finn August Malcolm Zephyr

Oh, and I also love Aurelia. Aurelia Tindra Lucero Scholze sounds wonderful!!
    Mom to Lucia Theodora Antoinette, born October 2012

Always on the hunt for fabulous finds, name-wise and otherwise.