Names Searched Right Now:
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
    The popular excuse, definitely. Why would the popularity of a name stop you from using a name that you really love? Makes me think that you don't love the name that much.

The but-I-just-really-like-it-and-nothing-can-stop-me-from-doing-so excuse used when talking about problematic names. Does your love for a name really overshadow all its horrible associations? Does your love for a name overshadow future problems the child could face with the name? I think that's a really ignorant way of thinking.

The but-it-doesn't-have-that-connection-anymore excuse. Basically the same as the let's-give-the-name-a-new-association excuse. To me, some names are just tainted forever and have connections that are so brutal that they should never be reinvented.

And lastly, the I-want-it-to-be-yooneek excuse. No. Just no.
    Zelia • Twenty • Film, history and royalty connoisseur • I have a personal blog and one about royalty
    Exporting beautiful old Danish names, exotic Greenlandic names and Greenlandic sibling names
    Henry Ásgeirr Edmund • Amaury Charles Fyodor "Theo" • Alexander Adelin Lórien "Sasha" • Asa Edouard Ivik
    Cosima Ingrid Zenobia "Mimi" • Matilda Ivalo Galadriel "Tilda" • Gaia Margaret Undómiel • Asta Catherine Françoise "Shazza"

I actually have a pet hate that's kind of from the other perspective.

It irritates me when people justify their name choice with, 'It's a family name' or 'It has special meaning to us'. As in, 'We want to call her Roderick Belle; I know it's an unusual choice for a girl, but it's a family name'. Or, 'We have chosen Brooklyn for our first boy; I know it'll get pushback, but it has special meaning for us as his dad was working in Brooklyn when we met'. :/

They're probably bad examples, but it seems as if special meaning/family name is used as a 'free pass' on nameberry to use some really questionable names!

Hey all - first time poster here!
    Really interesting discussion! The excuse to not use a name that I don't understand is "They will be called [first name] [last initial]" I guess those who feel this way are really saying the name is too popular. I was often a "Katie S." growing up. I never thought twice about it.

While names are important, I think we all know that ultimately its personality/intelligence that makes someone unique, smart or interesting, not their name.

The only one that really, really irks me is "He/She will hate you"
    It's such an immature scare tactic. It's like you're wishing discord upon a person simply because you disagree with their choice in names. It's almost always posted in regards to a boy name deemed "girly"
    Quote Originally Posted by jeska View Post
    I actually have a pet hate that's kind of from the other perspective.

It irritates me when people justify their name choice with, 'It's a family name' or 'It has special meaning to us'. As in, 'We want to call her Roderick Belle; I know it's an unusual choice for a girl, but it's a family name'. Or, 'We have chosen Brooklyn for our first boy; I know it'll get pushback, but it has special meaning for us as his dad was working in Brooklyn when we met'. :/

They're probably bad examples, but it seems as if special meaning/family name is used as a 'free pass' on nameberry to use some really questionable names!
    I've noticed this too and my eyes roll every time. Usually it's an excuse to use a uber masculine name for a girl.

Fox * Shea * Jade * Azure * Eden * Greer * Arden
    Lotus * Tallulah * Noor * Jasper * Blaise * Linden

Quote Originally Posted by dramagrl19 View Post
    Hate to break it to you m'dear, but where I live, usually kids with strange and unusual names get picked on (more in the lower grades)! O_o
    Strange! Where I live, everyone is welcomed with strange and unusual names. I have an unusual name myself, and it's always been a conversation-starter more than anything else! I have never been picked on for my name.
    I'm twenty with a furbaby named Frederick

* Beatrix * Clementine * Penelope * Cecilia * Margo *

* Theodore * Hugo * Edmund * Felix * Lysander *