Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
    I actually have a pet hate that's kind of from the other perspective.

It irritates me when people justify their name choice with, 'It's a family name' or 'It has special meaning to us'. As in, 'We want to call her Roderick Belle; I know it's an unusual choice for a girl, but it's a family name'. Or, 'We have chosen Brooklyn for our first boy; I know it'll get pushback, but it has special meaning for us as his dad was working in Brooklyn when we met'. :/

They're probably bad examples, but it seems as if special meaning/family name is used as a 'free pass' on nameberry to use some really questionable names!

Hey all - first time poster here!
    Really interesting discussion! The excuse to not use a name that I don't understand is "They will be called [first name] [last initial]" I guess those who feel this way are really saying the name is too popular. I was often a "Katie S." growing up. I never thought twice about it.

While names are important, I think we all know that ultimately its personality/intelligence that makes someone unique, smart or interesting, not their name.

The only one that really, really irks me is "He/She will hate you"
    It's such an immature scare tactic. It's like you're wishing discord upon a person simply because you disagree with their choice in names. It's almost always posted in regards to a boy name deemed "girly"
    Quote Originally Posted by jeska View Post
    I actually have a pet hate that's kind of from the other perspective.

It irritates me when people justify their name choice with, 'It's a family name' or 'It has special meaning to us'. As in, 'We want to call her Roderick Belle; I know it's an unusual choice for a girl, but it's a family name'. Or, 'We have chosen Brooklyn for our first boy; I know it'll get pushback, but it has special meaning for us as his dad was working in Brooklyn when we met'. :/

They're probably bad examples, but it seems as if special meaning/family name is used as a 'free pass' on nameberry to use some really questionable names!
    I've noticed this too and my eyes roll every time. Usually it's an excuse to use a uber masculine name for a girl.

Fox * Rohan * Jade * Shea * Eden * Blaise * Greer
    Lotus * Noor * Tallulah * Jasper * Linden * Arden

Quote Originally Posted by dramagrl19 View Post
    Hate to break it to you m'dear, but where I live, usually kids with strange and unusual names get picked on (more in the lower grades)! O_o
    Strange! Where I live, everyone is welcomed with strange and unusual names. I have an unusual name myself, and it's always been a conversation-starter more than anything else! I have never been picked on for my name.
    Jemima

twenty-one | law student

* Beatrix * Nell * Penelope * Felicity * Margo *

* Theodore * Hugo * Edmund * Felix * Oscar *

Quote Originally Posted by gabriela View Post
    Low class means not having much class. You're thinking of it as an economic stratification thing. That isn't how it's being used.
    I side with Gabriela on this one. I can't think of another way to describe it, though. When a name is... Trashy? Unsophisticated?
    If I had a baby today, I'd name him or her…
    Benjamin Lucas "Benji" or Susanna Risa "Sunny"

Andrew • Annabeth • Bram • Clare • Christopher • Ella • Daniel • Gwen • Ian • Iris • Jack • Ivy • James • Jane • Nathan • Laura • Owen • Mariella • Rory • Nora • Theodore • Quinn • Timothy • Wren