Names Searched Right Now:
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gabriela View Post
    It doesn't really matter because in this case, no one is using it in that way.
    Okay, I won't argue with you

Adele, Margot, Elsa & Henry, Felix, Oscar

I agree

that being told not to name a child a surname is ridiculous.

My personal worst though is when people say, "That is not a name. It's a word."

Like who appointed them God to discern between the two? The line is rather fluid these days, thankfully. And I'd rather be named Harvest any day over Mary.

I am also not keen on those who accept as concrete truth that a certain name is racist or sexist or cultural appropriation. It may be, it may not be, but their blanket certainty drives me ballistic.

I hate "That would make a great name for a dog" or anything hinting that the name proposed is acceptable for a pet but not a person. I mean, yes, it would be nice name for a dog since it's a great name for anyone. (Also, my dogs have perfect and amazing names.)

Once we're pregnant we're going to try to keep the name list to ourselves but I have a feeling keeping the short list from my mom will be nearly impossible...

Oh God the stripper thing, yeah.

If I choose to call my daughter Avalon Honey, 1) I am not determining her future career to exotic dancing, nor will it hold her back from becoming a lawyer and 2) even if she wanted to be a stripper, so what? Why do we look down on strippers like they're the scum of the Earth?

But my main thing is when people completely dismiss shorter forms of names like ''It's cute for when she's young but it needs something longer'' or ''Can you imagine a 30 year old Kitty?'' or insist it's better to use something you dislike and shorten it that to just use the shortened form.
    close to my heart / future darlings
    Rufus - Emmett - Hugh - Amadeus - Wilfrid - Eoghan - Alec
    Estella - Oona - Jemima - Eilidh - Zennor - Billie

olivia; ''somewhat of an enigma'' and finally seventeen. (http://bigsistercomplex.tumblr.com/)

I hate "That name just seems too trendy"

1. Names that are considered "trendy" on Nameberry are most of the time names that I've never heard on a real life kid.

2. "Trendy" names are "trendy" for a reason, don't you think? They are being used much more because there is something likeable about the name. Is it so bad that a lot of people find the name beautiful? Not necessarily. Although little Kinley may be Kinley H. in her kindergarten class, she'll never get any grief about her name, and that's a nice perk of a trendy name.
    18 | Name lover | No babies, just planning.

Current name loves: Griffin Atlas, Jedidiah West, Malcolm Rivers, Charlie Hayes, Stellan August, Rome Atticus | | Shiloh Everly, Genevieve "Evie" Blake, Alice Fable, Carrigan Maeve, Gemma Island Aspen Claire

Check out my Name Blog! Latest post 9/14/2014 http://nameloves.blogspot.com/