Names Searched Right Now:
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ribbons-and-soldiers View Post
    People that consider "low-class" a bad thing make me furious. There is nothing wrong with being of a lower class.
    Low class means not having much class. You're thinking of it as an economic stratification thing. That isn't how it's being used.

"That's a stripper name!" I'm sure there are strippers named Hope and Grace somewhere out there!
    Not expecting, just love collecting names!

My name is Erin. I am 22 years old and I have loved baby names since I was 10.

Girl names: Juliet Grace, Madeleine Hope, Linnea Ruby, Stella Rose, Emilia Colette, Clara ?, Fiona Violet, Bridget Amelia, Lydia Charlotte Eden Elizabeth, Eliza ?, Evelyn ?

Boy names: Jonathan Rhys, Wesley Drew, Evan Robert, Joel ?, Quinn ?, Dawson Cole, Griffin Miles, Judah Nathaniel, Greyson Jeremiah, Roman Isaiah

Quote Originally Posted by gabriela View Post
    Low class means not having much class. You're thinking of it as an economic stratification thing. That isn't how it's being used.
    Where do you think that saying came from?

Adele, Margot, Elsa & Henry, Felix, Oscar

Quote Originally Posted by potofgold View Post
    I am going to agree with the 'They'll be bullied because it's too unusual' - I think, unfortunately, some people will get bullied whatever their name. Plenty of people with an unusual name aren't bullied and a name being simply unusual is not enough in my experience for the name to cause bullying, it is rude/unpleasant associations that I think is the biggest potential issue
    I don't know that anyone has said someone is bullied for an unusual name. There are tons of unusual names that people wear well. It's the names that are perceived as strange that get bullied. A person named Beautiful or Princess is likely to be bullied, not because the name is unusual but because it's unusual and strange as a given name.

My biggest thing though - 'You can't use that - nobody would know how to pronounce it!'
    My answer - Who cares? Didn't do me any harm. If people aren't exposed to names from other countries/cultures then they won't learn how to say them.
    We all have different experiences. I had a very unusual name when I was growing up and no one knew how to pronounce it. I dreaded the first day of school when the teacher went through the roll because my name was always butchered. It's just a pain having a name no one can say in my view.

Quote Originally Posted by ribbons-and-soldiers View Post
    Where do you think that saying came from?
    It doesn't really matter because in this case, no one is using it in that way.