Names Searched Right Now:

View Poll Results: Does Arya make you think of "Aryan race"? Do you think it's racist to use it?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, Arya doesn't make me think of Hitler's ideology and I don't think it's racist.

43 56.58%
  • Arya does make me think of "Aryan race", but I don't think it's racist to use this spelling.

16 21.05%
  • I think Arya might be offensive, but Aria is fine.

17 22.37%
  • I think both Arya and Aria are racist.

0 0%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Arya Racist?

Is Arya Racist?

I've heard quite a few different opinions about the spelling Arya and I wonder what you think.
    polina ∙ 19 ∙ art history major ∙ web developer
    french/russian/swedish ∙ living in st. petersburg, russia

clementineastridsidoniaottoline
    felixsebastianmiloatticus

in the silence of your bones and eyes
    forgotten magic sits and waits for fire

Almost everyone nowadays will think of Game of Thrones. The name is also used (for boys) in Iran, where it's a mark of nationalist Persian pride. Neither of these have any racist overtones whatsoever, even though the Persian Arya is the actual origin of the term Aryan.

However, there WILL be a small fringe element who would use it specifically to convey white supremacy. I think it applies as well to Arianna / Aryanna. And the Y more obviously suggests that than the I.

It depends if you're trying to get the pronunciation ahr-ee-ah, three syllables like the operatic passage, or the ar-ya one.
    Blade, MD

XY: Antoine Raphael
    XX: Cassia Viviane Noor

Aurea * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Fleur * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrrine * Rosamond * Seraphine * Sylvana * Thea * Verity / Blaise * Cyprian * Evander * Jules * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Quentin * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Farah / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Tariq

I don't think so. Naming your son Aryan would definitely make you seem racist.

But Arya is just a variant spelling of Aria and a Game of Thrones character.

I think it helps that the pronunciation of Arya and Aryan is different.
    Victor | Ephraim | Phineas | Alfred | Rupert

Trudy | Marceline | Ramona | Cicely | Winifred

I didnt even think of Hitler. To me it just looked like a different spelling of Aria. And Aria makes me think of music.

Yes, Arya definitely reminds me of Aryan. I would steer clear. I do like Aria though and that doesn't make me think of Aryan at all.