Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

What Are Your Hobbies?

Hello berries,
    I decided to start this thread since I have enjoyed reading All About Me, What songs do you have on repeat? and my The Book Thread. I believe such threads are fun and let berries get to know each other better. Let's talk about hobbies now; maybe you will find a fellow writers, painter or music geek. I will start:
    Films I am not a huge films person but I certainly love spending an evening with a good movie and a cup of tea. My favorite films include Gone with The Wind, Dirty Dancing, James Bond movies and, from more recent, The Social Network.And I like Disney movies, especially Snow White and, *blushes* the new Oz movie with James Franco.
    Books And then, I am probably a bookworm - I can't remember myself without a book under my arm. It's hard to name all my favorite books so I will name a few writers: Oscar Wilde, Anton Chekhov, J.D. Salinger, Agatha Christie and Mikhail Lermontov. I also read some contemporary authors but, shame on me, I never remember any names.
    Music My music taste is all over place, I listen to everything except country and metal but mostly to all kinds of rock (Queen, earlier No Doubt, Muse) and good pop like Michael Jackson and Robbie Williams.
    Hobbies and sports I usually describe myself as a writer but I don't publish so it's more of a hobby. I tried to write fantasy though I decided to stop for a while because I haven't found a good plot yet. I am rather bad at drawing but I hope to make illustrations for my book myself one day.
    I am not sporty but I like dancing(I used to do ballet and ballroom dancing). I sing and I play a recorder a bit. I sometimes even compose songs but I can't write them down because I don't know the notes. I can knit but, honestly, I am awful at it. Oh, right, and I do decoupage and cutouts.
    I love languages very much, too, and my biggest dream right now is to learn Spanish and, perhaps later, French or Latin.

What are your hobbies? What do you do in your free time? I suppose you can copy my form and fill it if you feel like.
    Olympia
    Russian Lit student, bookworm, and arts geek.

Serena Elowen LivEmmeline Twila AliceSibyl Jemima IrisEsme Helena Mazarine
    Nathaniel Silvius Wilde Grover Elijah St JohnOscar Ignatius Cosmo Robin Hector Barnaby

Well, I'm a professional writer and literary agent, as well as an educator, so I can't say writing is my hobby.
    However, reading has been a lifelong passion and except during this latest burst of creativity for me, I usually read two books a week.
    Other hobbies include herpetology (I'm a member of Frogwatch International and I work with Escambia map turtles), gardening, nature walks, film, community theatre, and opera. I'm involved in one of the only teen Shakespeare companies in the US and I've written for our local theatre, as well as worked backstage and onstage. I love to ride, although I haven't done much since I hurt my back, bicycle, and sail. And my favourite sports are baseball, college hoops, and hockey, in that order.

Films

I'm really into art house/experimental film. Before I took art film class on my first year in university, I mostly watched newer (90s/00s) art house. Some of my newer favorites are Sophia Coppola's the Virgin Suicides, Lost in Translation and Marie Antoinette, Richard Kelly's Donnie Darko, Gus Van Sant's My Own Private Idaho, Michel Gondry's Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Guillermo del Toro's Pan's Labyrinth, Lars von Trier's Melancholia, Xavier Dolan's I Killed My Mother and Wes Anderson's Moonrise Kingdom.
    In the art film class I was introduced to some older art house movies. I fell in love with Luis Buñuel's Un Chien Andalou, Sergei Eisenstein's Battleship Potemkin and Federico Fellini's Nights of Cabiria.

Art house is not the only genre I love. I adore cinematography in general and am happy to watch anything that has a meaning. Mainstream favorites include Bridget Jones' Diary, Love Actually, the Intouchables, Silver Linings Playbook, Inside I'm Dancing and many more.

My favorite TV shows are Sherlock, Doctor Who and Breaking Bad. Right now I'm watching American Horror Story.

Books

I prefer classic literature and hardly ever read anything written after 80s. I absolutely adore the Beat Generation literature (Allen Ginsberg's and Jack Kerouac's works specifically), I also love 19th-century Russian literature (Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Anton Chekhov). Most of my other favorites tend to be 20th century writers (Franz Kafka, Jean-Paul Sartre, Virginia Woolf, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Vladimir Nabokov, James Joyce, J.D. Salinger and others).

Music

I love electronic (synthpop, New Wave) and alternative rock music (shoegaze, dream pop). My favorite bands/performers include Depeche Mode, Placebo, Led Zeppelin, the Beatles, Morrissey, the Cure, Nirvana, the Doors, Queen, Joy Division, Florence + the Machine, Sonic Youth, the Killers, MGMT, Arcade Fire, the Radio Dept., the Big Pink, Sigur Rós, HAIM, Moderat, the xx, New Order, Crystal Castles, Lana Del Rey, Sky Ferreira, Ellie Goulding and many others.

Hobbies and Sport

I'd say my two main hobbies are cinematography and web design. I'm into almost every form of art and I love to visit various museums and expositions. I love to sketch, to cook and to decorate random things. Traveling is my biggest passion, I try to travel as much as possible. I love children and often volunteer in orphanages.

I'm not really into sport, but I adore skiing, I've been skiing since I can remember myself. I also like ice skating, volleyball and horseback riding.
    polina ∙ 19 ∙ art history major ∙ web developer
    french/russian/swedish ∙ living in st. petersburg, russia

clementineastridsidoniaottoline
    felixsebastianmiloatticus

in the silence of your bones and eyes
    forgotten magic sits and waits for fire

@Polina: you have such an interesting taste in movies! I try to watch much more art house/less mainstream films, too but I haven't watched even a half of your list. That being said, I am not keen on TV series/shows at all, I tried to watch a few but never finished. They are just not my thing I guess.
    And I am pretty much like you when it comes to books: 19th and 20th century were the best for literature, in my opinion. I got myself a book of the most popular contemporary writers in my country and, well, it was the only book I haven't read to the end. It was awful to say at least - sex, abuse, violence and all along these lines. I still hope I just didn't get the right book for me.
    Olympia
    Russian Lit student, bookworm, and arts geek.

Serena Elowen LivEmmeline Twila AliceSibyl Jemima IrisEsme Helena Mazarine
    Nathaniel Silvius Wilde Grover Elijah St JohnOscar Ignatius Cosmo Robin Hector Barnaby

What a great idea!

I'm also very much into reading and writing--I've not written in years, because my depression has pretty much sucked up all my muse, but I still get into reading as much as I can, and I still toy around with some writing ideas, should my muse ever come back (which I certainly hope she does!). I also really love to do oil painting, although I don't do it often, and I knit occasionally. And piano! I'm probably not the best, but I've taken lessons off and on since I was five, and really love it. I'm okay enough that I can play in church, so at least it gets used on a fairly regular basis. I'm also a huge TV nerd. It's not crazy for me to obsessively follow about 20 shows at once, although I'm trying to cut back, haha.

I'm also teaching myself French--is that considered a hobby? I think my mom's worried it's becoming obsessive behavior, too, but it's something I really want to do, and I do have OCD. Sometimes it's hard to control, haha.
    Ashley
    twenty-something namenerd and aspiring novelist

Isabelle + Arianne + Olivia + Violet + Charlotte + Emmeline + Grace + Eleni
    Caleb + Everett + Jack + Avery + Samuel + Caspar + Grant + Rory