• common

4 22.22%
  • in between

15 83.33%
  • see my comment

2 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Character Names: Out of the ordinary or in the top 200?

Hi!
    I love coming up with short stories that could be anybody's reality (they are not on a distant planet or animals that can talk). When it comes to names, I love some uncommon ones such as Kylah or Reese. But I also love some that are really popular, like Kennedy, Mason and Leah.

What's your take?

Do think names for realistic stories should be:

out of the ordinary

common

in between
    Check out my blog! Click here! New blog post today!

I think when writing realistic fiction a variety of names (from uncommon to really popular) works the best. If you gather 100 random people off a city street there's going to be a mix of names. Sooooo in between!
    -Athena

Top Girls: Under Construction

Top Boys: Under Construction

I'm not sure I understand the question correctly. Aren't names character-driven? Or are you talking about minor character names? Realistically, how many American women were named Bret in the 1920's? And yet what other name could that character have? I guess, if you are worried about "dating" your fiction, it might be a concern. And yet if you read Irwin Shaw or John Cheever, are their short stories any less pertinent today because their characters carry names popular in the 40s, 50s, and 60s?

I voted on see my comment because for me, it depends on the idea for the novel. I try to choose a meaningful name for my characters, and not just give them a name I like. Overall, I think you should choose a name that works for the character.
    Erin (Writer, Nerdfighter, Ravenclaw; Not expecting, just collecting)
    (Adelaide, Betty, Cassia, Georgia, Ocean, Violet)
    (Asher, Gabriel, Josiah, Oakley, Rowan, Wayland)

I think that depends very much on your character and style. I've encountered unusual names in realistic fiction and completely normal ones in fiction set on another plant/in another reality.
    Name lover & Engaged to a wonderful man

Lilith - Vesper - Francesca - Tiffany - Lark - Viola - Naomi - Eloise - Layla - Amy - Phoebe - Freya
    Zachary - Alexander - Tristan - George - Axel - Dominic - Loki - Malachi- Rowan - Harvey - Griffin - Briar

Bunny names:
    M: Banjo, Chewbacca
    F: Kairi, Pika
    Uni: Bantha, Domino, Tadpole

My blog: http://thereviewinators.wordpress.com/