Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I think they're too close, but it's a taste thing... My nieces are Nora and Nina, so it's cute, but I wouldn't personally have done it. I'm assuming my SIL isn't going to be having anymore kids though so naming them to fit the pattern wouldn't matter.
    Our Cats:
    Calcifer & Mittzy

Our Dog:
    Lexie

Favorite Names
    Elsa ~ Flora ~ Luna ~ Euphemia ~ Caroline ~ Artemis
    Ezra ~ Severus ~ Llewellyn ~ Rory ~ Liam ~ Preston

Author Site | Tumblr | Blog | Free Printables

Quote Originally Posted by lovebeingmommy View Post
    Existing daughter: Marissa

Can I name her baby sister Marian?
    Yes.

How about Maria?
    Mira?
    Miriam?
    Miranda?
    Yes on all counts.

are the names too close in spelling and/or sound?
    Though the names are close in sound and spelling, "too close" is merely a matter of personal preference.

How do you feel about using names that start with the same letter for 2 siblings, when the rest of the siblings each have their own unique beginning letter?
    I, personally, would have no problem with that.

Does it matter less in a family with many children, than it would if there were only 2 or 3 siblings?
    Yes.

how do you feel about the style/image of these names with my daughter's name?
    Marissa {and}

Amanda, Cassandra, (Miranda), Serena, Vanessa

{"lacy and lissome" names / "Baby Name Wizard"}

there would be about a 12-year difference in these girls' ages.
    My personal preference would be a unified sibset regardless of the decade(s) in which my children were born.
    "Close your eyes and think about it.

Which name do you really, really love the most?

Go with the one that makes you smile every time you say it."

--Suelain Moy, author

Quote Originally Posted by mill1020 View Post
    I think all of the M names you've listed are way too close to your daughter's name. I think it's best when each sibling has his/her own first initial.
    Thank you for your reply.
    I tend to agree with you. Originally, I wanted my children to each have their own initial letter.

Quote Originally Posted by rachaelbunny View Post
    I think that those names may be too close for siblings. Especially considering the age gap, it would be best if the girls had related but distinct names.
    What about a name that also has a water meaning like Cordelia/ Delia ("daughter of the sea"), Isla (pronounced "eye-la", the name of a Scottish river), or Zarya (a water priestess in Slavic mythology).
    Or for other M names that are distinct from Marissa: Madeline, Maxine, Michelle, Monica, Maeve
    Thank you so much for these wonderful ideas! I especially love your suggestions with similar meanings! LOVE Cordelia, Delia, Isla, and Maeve!

Yes, I would like to relate the girls' names to each other somehow, and yet at the same time, have their own distinct names.

Quote Originally Posted by apollonia View Post
    Yes.

Yes on all counts.

Though the names are close in sound and spelling, "too close" is merely a matter of personal preference.

I, personally, would have no problem with that.

Yes.

Marissa {and}

Amanda, Cassandra, (Miranda), Serena, Vanessa

{"lacy and lissome" names / "Baby Name Wizard"}

My personal preference would be a unified sibset regardless of the decade(s) in which my children were born.
    Thank you so very much for sharing your opinions with me!

I know that these names share letters and letter combinations, but that is partly why I am considering them - because of their similarity to each other, I thought they could serve as a connection for the girls to share with each other.

Also, I tried to look at names that sound different when spoken, even though they share letters. For example, in the case of Marissa and Marian, the pronunciations are very different (mah-RI-suh verses MA-ree-in).

So even though they appear similar in print, in verbal usage I do not think they will be mixed up with each other.