Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jesslyn View Post
    . Giving a girl a man's name on the other hand doesn't have the same effect. The person reading the resume doesn't know if the person is male or female. They don't treat a woman differently for having a man's name because they don't know whether she is a woman or man. This same kind of problem arises in applying for college also.
    That is a really good point. There is still quite a bit if gender discrimination in the workplace so I wonder if women with masculine names are commonly called in for interviews, with the assumption of them being men.

It would be interesting to hear from a woman who has a traditionally male name and has experienced a job interview where the interviewer assumed she was a man before the interview.

I have a good friend who is white and married a Korean man. So now she has a Korean last name. Potential interviewers always assume that she is Korean. She will show up to the interview and then she says that half the interview ends up being about how no, she is not Korean and yes, married a Korean man and that is why she now has a Korean name even though no, she is still not Korean. I just wonder if this would be a similar situation for someone with a very male name who ended up not being male.

Your first question is a matter of opinion and why there is such a range of girl names. The answer to your second question is simply, no, because of a thing called male privilege.

On another topic, can I comment about Calvin & Wesley? I love both of the names you are considering, but the pairing is humorous because of the opposing theologies they represent. (:
    若兰

I'm just a third-culture girl with an affinity for names.

In loving memory of Margot

I don't like names like Mckinnley or Brynnlee, personally. It's not just those kind of names, it's the made up, misspelled ones in general.

As far as Cooper and Hudson go...I have a couple opinions. Hudson should never be used on a female. Neither should Addison, or any other -son name...they mean "son of" not "daughter of". Cooper, on the other hand, is okay. My SIL is named Tanner, and she is a beautiful, mature, feminine, well-educated young woman.

Names that are traditionally masculine but have been taken over by the girls can still be used on boys, IMO. In fact, 99% of the time, I still prefer them on boys! To answer your question about it affecting a man with a now-feminine name, I don't think it does. I know an older man named Sidney, and he is tough, masculine, ex-rodeo, awesomeness...one of the best, good hearted men that I know!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crushes:
    Shae - Mallory - Margaret - Dorothy - Boden - Luca - Veda
    Huckleberry - Colt - Benno - Fielder - Lonan - Kick - Shannon - Bodhi - Harvey

Quote Originally Posted by ruolan View Post
    On another topic, can I comment about Calvin & Wesley? I love both of the names you are considering, but the pairing is humorous because of the opposing theologies they represent. (:
    Haha!! That is purely coincidental