Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bodhi?

Bodhi?

My husband and I have decided to start trying again in the summer. We are so far off on names that I'm beginning my search now. Really, the only name he's totally on board with from my signature is Declan. I like it and it probably would've been what we used had my daughter been a boy, but I'm not sure I'm feeling it all that much anymore.

A girl I knew from high school named her son Bodie a couple of years ago and I wasn't feeling it. I think the spelling turned me off the most. Recently, I've really been loving Bodhi, but now I'm realizing why she maybe chose the spelling she did - she is Caucasian as am I. I am considering Bode (like the skier; apparently it has German/Nordic roots so not totally made up), but I don't know. My husband and I are not religious; however, when I was growing up, my parents were Buddhists and it is the religion I most respect and identify with. I just don't know. I don't want to appear that I'm trying too hard or being too "out there."

Is it really a name which someone of my background would be seen as silly? Part of me sees it as cool, laid back, almost surfer-like but that may be just me.

Middle name would be James.
    Mom to Nora.

Current favorites:
    Declan James (Dex). Griffin James (Finn). Euan James. Graham Jameson. August James (Gus). John Jameson (Johnny). Wesley James (Wes).

Gwyneth Eliza (Gwen). Elise Hannah. Lucy Johanna. Josephine Maeve (Josie). Bronwen Elise (Bonnie). Eve Johanna (Evie). Bonnie Eliza.

I think the Irish Declan would be a better choice with an older sister named Nora. I don't like the "No-Bo" of Nora and Bodhi.
    All the best,
    Mischa.

I'm not the least bit concerned about "No-Bo" as we don't call her that (obviously) and it doesn't even have that beginning sound. I'm really interested in people's thoughts on the actual name Bodhi.
    Mom to Nora.

Current favorites:
    Declan James (Dex). Griffin James (Finn). Euan James. Graham Jameson. August James (Gus). John Jameson (Johnny). Wesley James (Wes).

Gwyneth Eliza (Gwen). Elise Hannah. Lucy Johanna. Josephine Maeve (Josie). Bronwen Elise (Bonnie). Eve Johanna (Evie). Bonnie Eliza.

Quote Originally Posted by sllah View Post
    I'm not the least bit concerned about "No-Bo" as we don't call her that (obviously) and it doesn't even have that beginning sound. I'm really interested in people's thoughts on the actual name Bodhi.
    I was just pointing out the similarity between the two names. You're the second or third person who has posted about the name Bodhi in a couple of days here on Nameberry. Two celebrities have recently named their sons Bodhi so it's VERY trendy. If you were a Buddhist, it would be fine but it just seems like an odd choice for a non-religious person to make. It does have a hippy, surfer dude quality but I don't see the appeal. I don't like cutesy names for either gender and Bodhi falls into that category for me. It's a sweet nickname for a little boy but I have trouble picturing it on a mature adult. I like names that age well and can adjust to all stages in life and Bodhi seems like it would be forever stuck in childhood. Declan would be a stronger choice especially with a sister name Nora. Have you considered Beau as an option?
    Last edited by mischa; February 22nd, 2014 at 03:34 PM.
    All the best,
    Mischa.

I like Bodhi and disagree with pp about it being a child's name. I think Bodhi is a name that could age well. People call their daughters Lily - that is a child's name to me, but Bodhi doesn't seem that way. Sure, it's cute and sweet, but I do think it could age well.

I think Nora and Bodhi although very different have a similar feel; both appear as though they could be nicknames, but are real full names. . I'm not very aware of any religious affiliations, and I think Bodhi is cool.

I know a boy named Brody, which is similar, so maybe you would like that? (pronounced Bro-dee).

So I think if you love Bodhi (or Brody), go for it!
    Isla, Sadie, Neva, Thalia, Leora, Kayla, Maeve, Flora, Aria & Tessa
    Noah, Henry, Ronan, Wyatt, August, Caleb, Grant, Charlie, Flynn & Alfie