Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thoughts on Salinger, nn Sal

I have been thinking about this for awhile and finally decided to post. I love the name Sal for a boy but I feel like it needs a longer full name. I don't really like Salvador or the variants of it--I should say, I actually DO like it, I just don't think we can pull off such an ethnic choice (see other my kids' names below). This brings me to the full name Salinger. What do you think? I know a lot of people might find it too pretentious. In truth, I do love JD Salinger's work, but I'm not trying to honor him with the name or make some kind of statement with the name--Salinger as a name has grown on me, mostly because it gives me the nn Sal, which is probably what we would primarily call the hypothetical son who bore the name.

Thoughts? Thanks!
    Mom to Seth Andrew and Madeline Frances

Other current favorites (girls): Rosemary, Elizabeth, Tessa, Susanna, Katherine; (boys): Noel, Spencer, Patrick, Rory, Alexander

The trouble with the name Salinger is that MOST if not ALL people will think you ARE an obsessed Salinger fan. Just be prepared to answer the question: "did you name him after the author?" Salinger seems very different in style to your other children's names. I guess you could get Sal from some other names that contain the three letters: Sullivan, Salton/Sultan, Sailor, Sadler, Sacheverell, Saville, Saul, Shanley, Silas, Slate/Slater, Stanley, Stockwell, Samuel, Scanlon etc... Do you mind if your boys share an "S" initial?
    All the best,
    Mischa.

I love Mischa's suggestions! Salinger reminded me of the 80's show Party of Five and then I remembered the author connection. Sal is so sweet though! How about Sol? Solomon? Salomon just looks like Salmon (the fish). I love Sullivan, Sailor, Saul, Samuel.

I tried this: http://nameberry.com/search/?gender=...rch=find+names (starts with S and contains L) I like Sabel.

I also tried this:http://nameberry.com/search/?gender=...rch=find+names (contains Sal).

Sal is incredibly difficult!!! (But also wonderful, )
    Isla, Sadie, Neva, Thalia, Leora, Sylvia, Maeve, Flora, Aria & Tessa
    Noah, Henry, Ronan, Wyatt, August, Caleb, Grant, Charlie, Flynn & Alfie

OK, thanks. I appreciate all the suggestions, Mischa and Waverly. I *might* be able to handle Solomon or Samuel--like both of those, and I could stretch it with the nn Sal, I think. OR, as Mischa said, I could just not care that people think I'm an obsessive JD Salinger fan! Yes, it is fairly different from my other 2 kids' names, but for some reason, I feel like Seth, Madeline and Sal goes okay. Anyway--I probably won't end up using it, but it's still on my short list! Thanks.

Other current favorites (girls): Rosemary, Elizabeth, Tessa, Susanna, Katherine; (boys): Noel, Spencer, Patrick, Rory, Alexander

Question--if anyone else sees this. I had the thought in the middle of the night that maybe I could swing Sal as a nn for our fave name, Alexander. I know it's a bit of a stretch, but maybe not so much, with the same beginning sound of "al"?? I actually really really like Anders as a nn for Alexander, but just thinking of options!