Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Awful Nicknames

Quote Originally Posted by lexiem View Post
    Awe… I like being a Sexy Lexie or Sexy Rexy (yes it has happened, as well as Slexy).

I think with Gordon/Gordo and Hugo/Huge-O it really depends on how large someone is. Unless you have a weight problem these don’t really become an issue - and honestly if you do kids will find awful ways to make fun of you regardless. Even if it’s turning a name like Mike into Big or Fat Mike. (Also Gordo or Gordito can be used as a term of endearment provided one has the right self esteem).

I don’t love Scar for Scarlet or Tony for Anton but i think for me it’s usually a specific nn I don’t like instead of letting a nn ruin a whole name for me.
    I'm extremely picky about nn's myself; I'm not a big fan of Scarlet, but I'm not sure if that's actually because of the awful nn Scar or just that it's NMS to begin with. My niece's given name is Lexi and the thought of "sexy lexi" didn't bother my SIL at all. However, my parents were concerned about it the minute they heard it.... but I'm not sure how I feel about it. If it were me, I'd have given a fuller name so Lexi could pick what kind of nn she actually wanted.

Unfortunately, my own child/ren will probably struggle to keep a healthy weight as my husband and I do (I sure hope not, but sometimes you just have to embrace reality) so we must consider names that could have negative associations regarding weight I've loved the name Tobias for years, and only realized the other day that we may have to deal with the awful nn Tubby Toby should we decide to use it.

Funny thing is that you mentioned "Big Mike"... my DH (Michael) created his own fun nn name for himself because there are just too many "Mike's" in the world and our very Irish last name was difficult to pronounce for his students; plus he is an avid Apple computer lover. He is now known as Big Mac to almost everyone under the age of 18. LOL. It made sense that his students would ask when we were going to have children so they could call them "McNuggets" and after that comment/suggestion as newlyweds, our new puppy was dubbed McNuggie
    Last edited by iwillpraise; February 24th, 2014 at 04:37 PM.
    michael william & gabriel patrick | adelaide susanne & nadia eloise

Before I was born the LORD called me;
    from my mother's womb He has spoken my NAME
    ~ Isaiah 49:1

Unfortunately nicknames will pop up no matter what you call them, either in fondness or teasing. It's just a fact of life. My name is Julie, and my elder brother was my worst tormentor, leaving me with the moniker 'Ghoulie' for most of my childhood. Jules, Ju, and Red were the other main ones. We teased my little sister Carly by rhyming her name with Harley, which really isn't insulting at all! Kids will be kids.

At the end of the day, pretty well any name you pick will have a nasty association somewhere. Don't let it deter you unless its really obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by xredd View Post
    Now this is my kind of thread! My name comes with a lot of unfortunate nicknames...most of them I think are quite funny.

My name is Beryl, pronounced kinda like Barrel.

I've gotten Beryl of monkeys, Beryl of rum, Beryl of wine, Crackle Beryl, crate, box, short long box (because I'm short and skinny), Berry, and many others haha.

My boyfriend's name is Brandon and he gets Brand-flakes a lot, and we have some friends named Joe we call cup-of-Joe of Mojojojoe.
    Your response made me smile; thank you for sharing! I haven't given much thought to what the name Beryl could bring about, but you have such a great lighthearted attitude that is quite refreshing! Beryl isn't one you hear too often (where I live at least)... Within the last couple of months, I just discovered the unusual feminization of Basil: Basilea/Basilia. Not sure if the correct pronunciation is BAY-sell-i-ya or Ba-SILLI-a; if the latter, I can only imagine the main nn would be "Silly," which to me, is pretty amusing!
    Last edited by iwillpraise; February 24th, 2014 at 04:27 PM.
    michael william & gabriel patrick | adelaide susanne & nadia eloise

Before I was born the LORD called me;
    from my mother's womb He has spoken my NAME
    ~ Isaiah 49:1

Quote Originally Posted by violetink1231 View Post
    You mentioned Josie and all I can think of is a girl from a neighboring town that everyone called "Grossie Josie"
    "Grossie Josie" is from Never Been Kissed!

My friend Dana gets Great Dane like the dog.
    Smelly Ellie
    Lazy Lucy (like the kids TV show)
    Lamy Amy
    ☆Isobel★Eloise☆Matilda★Alice☆Eleanor★ Amelia☆ Elena★Mirabel☆ Felicity★Phoebe ☆Eilidh ★Rosalia☆Roisin★Azalea☆Elsa★Arabella☆ Genevieve★Elodie☆Ruby★Charlotte☆
    ★☆★
    ☆Eamon★Tiago☆Cooper★Jack☆Jago★Flynn☆ Archer★Lincoln☆Asher★Alfie☆Taylor★Baxter ☆Finnian★Lawson☆Jasper★Lewis ★Oscar☆Fletcher★Caspian☆Miller★
    babynameobsessed.worpress.com