Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How would you pronounce Lorica?

I was watching My 600lb Life last night and there was a girl on the show named Larisa. Naturally I thought it would be spelled the way I imagine it to be, but when her name came on the screen it was Lorica and I just kind of cringed a bit. I wanted to call her "Lor-ree-ka" so badly and every time it came on the screen I just asked myself why. Given some names do well when "s" is replaced by a "c" such as Alycin but Lorica ending in the "ca" makes me want to give it the harsher sounding "KA". I just don't get it pronounced as Larisa.
    Madigan - Effie - Tamsin - Tully - Jaxie
    Thorin - Declan - Adler - Thayer - Hudson

I'd pronounce Lorica lore-ih-kuh. It's pretty in theory and feels like it could be a legit name but definitely not as an alternative spelling to Larisa!
    Current favorites:
    Cora . Louisa . Lydia . Mary

My Adoption Journey

I'd say Lore-iss-uh, or Lore-eess-uh. I don't know how you'd get a La sound from Lorica though...
    Wholocked, history and chemistry loving teenberry (16).
    Hoping to be a mummy in the very distant future. Dreaming of...
    ♥ Pandora Valencia Fae ♥ Evanthe Lyra Annabeth ♥
    Little Misses
    ♡ Caspian Sherlock Walter ♡ Phoenix Arthur Blaise ♡
    Mister Men

"'Mycroft' is the name you gave me; if you could possibly struggle all the way to the end."
    Mycroft Holmes | Sherlock (BBC) | His Last Vow

I would pronounce it Lor-ree-cah. Anica is pronunced Ah-nee-sa, so not every name, ending with -ca, gives -ka sounds.

LORE-ih-cah. Sort of like Lorca - the whale or Federico Garcia Lorca - but with an i sound in the middle. The Latin word lorica is pronounced Lo-RYE-cah, so I could see that too.

Usually in English the soft c is followed by i, e, or y, or oe and ae clusters. If this comes from a language with pronunciation rules I don't know about, that's fine. If it's a creative take on Larissa, it seems silly.
    Girls:
    Nickname-able: Susanna, Johanna, Paloma, Lucille, Harriet, Beatrix, Rosemary, Juniper, Marigold, Annabeth, Gwendolen, Kathleen, Tabitha
    Short and to-the-point: Flora, Jane, Laura, Anne, Cecile, Susan, Kaia

Boys:
    So much easier: Hugh/Hugo, Wilfred, Basil, Augustin, Edmund, Arlo, Timothy, Frederick