Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Attending University in the UK...

Hi, berries!
    So, I live in the US, but have decided I want to attend college (University) in the UK. I want to get my undergraduate degree, go into sports medicine, and likely go to medical school. I know I can finish quicker across the pond (here a bachelor's degree takes 4 years,) and I know a little bit about international scholarships, but do you guys have any suggestions for where I should go? I don't even know where to start with which Universities are more centered around sports and physical medicine. Thanks in advance!

I'm taking this entire next year to save money and prepare (researching, getting all the necessary paper work in order, etc.) Also, math is my only academic weakness. I'm very good at anything and everything else.

loco for rococo

✫

fanciful: Twila Posey, Odette Francesca, Orlaith Glimmer, Fianna Ruby, Poet Cadenza, Indie Nell.
    ///             ///             ///    

Ouen Amos, Cillian Ambrose, Oswin Maverick, Casimir Orlando, Oscar Phineas.  

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...orts%20science

Top three:

Durham would be very hard to get into, I think. It's one of the best universities in the country. But certainly give it a try if you fancy it. Durham is up north, near Newcastle. I don't know much else about the town other than that it has a beautiful cathedral, and is in general a very old town.

Birmingham is a large city, so probably the most exciting place. It is in the Midlands, basically smack in the middle of England. The university has a good reputation.

Bath is a lovely little town, very charming. It is in the West Country, which is great if you like cider and cows etc. It is pretty small, though. Both my parents were at Bath and I grew up quite near to there - I've only heard good things about the university from them, but of course that was quite some time ago. The architecture is absolutely beautiful, and there are some brilliant Roman baths (hence the name of the town).

I should think entrance requirements for any sports science programme will have some emphasis on maths, though.
    Emil - Ingimar - Kjartan - Matthías - Óskar - Róbert

Elísabet - Elva - Rósa - Sólveig - Svala - Ylfa

Thanks! Another friend was telling me about Bath. I come from a rural area, so it wouldn't be a big deal. lol From what I've read, I'd take the same classes as anyone going into the medical profession, but post graduate school is when I'd branch off and take more specialized classes. Not sure how much math is involved in the field in general.

loco for rococo

✫

fanciful: Twila Posey, Odette Francesca, Orlaith Glimmer, Fianna Ruby, Poet Cadenza, Indie Nell.
    ///             ///             ///    

Ouen Amos, Cillian Ambrose, Oswin Maverick, Casimir Orlando, Oscar Phineas.  

I have to put a word in for Bath having studied there myself and my husband did a very similar course to what you are wanting to do and loved it! Bath is gorgeous, even though the campus is not really in the town itself. It's a lovely university, be forewarned it's quite tricky to get into and you do need excellent grades but nonetheless it's superb! And you will definitely need maths and at a decent level, look on the website.

Just so you know: England, Wales and NI all normally do 3 year long undergrad programmes but Scotland does 4 years. There are a lot of great universities all over the UK, the website @jackal suggested is the best for knowing where are good places for looking at.

Out of the list I highly recommend: Bath (obviously), Stirling (it's in Scotland so 4 year longs but a lovely university and Stirling is a lovely town despite the university being in Bridge of Allan), Exeter, Leeds and Portsmouth are all lovely too.
    Beautiful baby girl who changed our world: Nettie Claudia Appleby ~ 25th of July 2014

Bryony|Lydia|Vera|Petra|Imogen|Sadie|Monica|Georgi ana|Anneliese|Zara|Clara|Adeline|Lois|Sophia|Elena |Aurora|Lucille|Erica|Mercy|Blythe|Felicity

Jude|Oscar|Xavier|Patrick|Bart|Felix|Nathaniel|Fre derick|Isaac|Evan|Theodore|Adam|Jasper|Callum|Ezra |Ezekiel|Henry|Samson|Niall|Percy|Barney|Seamus|Ha velock

I don't think I can be much help other than to add that I would also recommend Bath! I applied there (for a different course and ended up not accepting my offer as I was applying elsewhere for medicine and Bath was my back-up) because it is a very good university, it has fantastic sports facilities (which I thought might be of interest to you!) and Bath is such a beautiful town. It is small, though obviously that wouldn't be a problem for you, but there are just so many beautiful old buildings. Basically everything about it is beautiful ... apart from the university campus. They have a lovely park-like area with a lake but the buildings are mostly 1960s concrete blocks. I didn't consider this a problem though, the town more than makes up for it! (sorry if I got a bit descriptive, I just love Bath so much!). It does have quite difficult entry requirements and if you are considering any kind of science degree at any uni you will have to have good grades in maths.

Bath is one of the ones I know the most about but I would also suggest Loughborough (has a very good reputation for sports and has good sports facilities), Exeter, Cardiff, Durham (very traditional English uni with a college system which I think is pretty cool. Also a lovely town) and St Andrews (it's in Scotland so the course will be longer but it is the most beautiful place ever and has some pretty cool traditions. I have no idea what it is like for Sports Sciences, I just love the place ).

EDIT: It appears Cardiff don't do Sports Science ... oops! But, it's still a lovely place and great university!

I also have a couple of things I am curious about, because I'm a nosy person
    If you're a US student studying in the UK are you not able to go straight into an undergraduate medical degree?
    Is it Sports Sciences you want to study?
    Is your intention to be a medical doctor?
    Last edited by potofgold; September 7th, 2014 at 08:16 AM.
    Just a 19 year old weirdly obsessed with names, no babies in the near future

Aila Anwen Arianwen Aveline Calla Caoimhe Cosima Fionnuala Hazel Hestia Josephine Rowan
    Alaric Asa Evander Ezra Jasper Leander Lucas Orion Perseus Ruairi