Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Traveling with Children

So I am planning a trip to Mexico this summer with my nephew and daughter. My nephew is 8 years old, and my daughter will be 2 by the time we leave. We will have to take an airplane, which I have only been on one once in my life, and I went with a group of people. This time I will be going by myself with the two kids. I have looked up some stuff online, but I was wondering if anyone has any first hand experience? Like what should I bring on the plane to keep them entertained? And how do I handle long layovers? If anyone has any advice for me, please let me know. Thanks.
    Mom to Noemi Xochitl *5/19/14*

Favorite names at the moment:

Azucena*Josefina*Sarai*Solana*Valeria*Ximena

Cenon*Enrique*Gabriel*Isaiah*Josiah*Zacarias

Not a mom but I have 2 little sisters and 2 even littler cousins that I've traveled with on a plane. I think the biggest lifesaver was the iPad with movies and games, and food (something healthy since planes only serve cookies or pretzels or peanuts. Although since I'm assuming you'll be on an international flight, they might have more served depending on the length of the flight. They might also have monitors on the back of the seats which was a lifesaver on one of the flights I took. Just put on Inside Out or music and not a peep for 2.5 hours!). For layover, this might be better for older kids but there's a Headbands app that my dad got for his phone which made the airport fun. I've also seen people play this game while waiting in line for rides at Disney World. Again, might entertain your nephew but maybe not your daughter since she probably can't read. The app is called Heads Up! and is $0.99 on the App Store.

Depending on what airport you go to/through, try to find some room for the kids to move. We flew to Charlotte and back in January, stopping in Atlanta and Detroit. We were once stopped in Kansas City. The airport in Kansas City is small but not crowded so there was plenty of room to run around. There was a family with 2 year old twin boys and an older daughter who had a blast chasing each other. Detroit and Charlotte are bigger and more crowded but still have room. Atlanta is a nightmare though. Be careful if you have to go there.

Make sure everyone gets a good night sleep the night before. Also consider bringing a small pillow or a stuffed animal for your daughter to help her sleep on the plane. Honestly though, kids can sometimes surprise you with their ability to entertain themselves. My then 6 year old sister literally talked to the stranger sitting next to her for the duration of a 2 hour flight. We got lucky because it turns out he was a dad and enjoyed it. But still. Also window seats. Gotta love window seats.

Don't stress about it too much. These kids are so lucky to have you taking them somewhere as cool as Mexico! The first time I ever left the states was last summer and I'm 16. Good luck!

Also, I've noticed this before but your daughter's birthday is the day after mine
    Abby • 17 • Competitive Dancer • Writer

Maybe...
    Iris Matilda|Aurora Isabel|Maeve Artemis|Kaia Reverie|Sabrina Fleur
    Juno Delilah|Nola Xanthe|Saela Vesper|Mabel Amoret|Thalia Brynn
    August Laurence|Magnus Jacoby|Conrad Emory|Archer Murray|Lachlan Sage
    Nolan Shepherd|Rory Xavier|Caspian Ellis|Flynn Alexander|Fabian James

Trying out...
    Elsa Naomi|Nico Lysander
    Calista Margo|Torin Sirius

Officially a senior! Class of 2017

Abby,

Thanks for all the great information! I don't have an ipad, but my nephew has a small tablet with games. I haven't booked the flight yet, but the ones I have been looking up have like 2 or 3 hour flights with 2 hour layovers in between.

Do you know whether children tickets are less than for adults? Or would it depend on the airline? Also, I assume I have to call the airport to get seats together? Or is it whoever gets there first can pick the seats?

Yea I have never really been anywhere interesting either. We went into Canada once when I was younger, but that's it. Didn't need a passport back then, of course we drove over. This will be my nephew's first time meeting his sister. He was born in the United States.

That's cool about your birthday! Ha ha. I always think its cool when I meet someone who's birthday is close to mine.

You select your seats when you purchase your tickets online. Book early enough in advance and you can easily get seats together. If that doesn't work out I'm sure there will be people willing to swap seats so that your family can sit together. Some airlines allow children under age 2 to fly for free or at a discounted price as lap babies. Age 2 is usually the cut off. Here's Southwest and Delta's policies as examples:

https://www.southwest.com/html/custo...board-pol.html

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_.../children.html

@southern.maple,

Thanks for the information! So far I have just been looking up flights on different websites (Expedia, Trip Advisor, etc.) Some of them ask the age of the passengers, and others don't. I have to make sure I don't pay full price for a 2 year old. I also have to find out if my car seat is approved for airplanes. I am going to get passports done hopefully Tuesday, so then after that I will book the flight. So far it looks like most of the flights are through American Airlines, so I will have to look up their policies.