Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by renrose View Post
    I wanted so badly to like it because I admire JKR but... I was just so bored by the adults... I liked the kids though.
    I found the characters sort of stereotypic, but still fascinating.

I'm not into modern literature at all and I wasn't expecting much from Rowling (Harry Potter was good, but it's a children's book), but I really enjoyed reading the Casual Vacancy. Usually I can see what's going to happen and that's why I don't like most modern books. The Casual Vacancy was completely unpredictable, though.
    polina, nineteen
    french/russian/swedish living in st. petersburg, russia
    art history major, web developer

clementine + ottoline + romilly + sybella + matilda
    wilhelmina + tallulah + marlowe + emiliana + saskia

felix + sebastian + milo + oscar + fabian
    cosmo + archer + rufus + dashiell + caius

{ mommy to jagger the cat }

I'm currently reading Divine Misdemeanor by Laurell K Hamilton, Shadow's Edge by Brent Weeks, and The Last Threshold by RA Salvatore.

And does it count that I'm re-reading my novel and doing some more re-writes :P
    Mother, Hellenic Pagan Priestess, and Resident Greek name expert ^_^ Call me Dantea or Remy

http://covertocoverediting.webs.com/ -- Editing services available for cheap.

Proud Mama to:
    Persephone Elysia Willow -- June 5th 2013
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014

I am reading two marvelous client novels, both going to be the next big things in sf/f!
    For trying to clear my head from everything else I am doing -- finishing two novels and now I have a one-act that I am committed to writing -- I am rereading The Shell Seekers by Rosamund Pilcher simply because it is lovely.
    On the nonfiction shelf are all these books on PTSD and mourning for research...I have become an expert!

I loved Casual Vacancy. It reminded me of the wonderful novels of Winifred Holtby, which is apparently what Rowling set out to do, recreate the large regional English novel. And I really enjoyed The Book Thief -- have taught it to my 10th grade students, back when I was teaching English. As with the Harry Potter books, it has the ability to hook non-reading kids into reading.

Oh, and I just finished a reread of Daphne du Maurier's Jamaica Inn and Elizabeth George's newest Thomas Lynley. Am waiting for the new Elly Griffith, which will have to wait until I've finished my clients' manuscripts.

Quote Originally Posted by dantea View Post
    And does it count that I'm re-reading my novel and doing some more re-writes :P
    No, or else I would have said it too
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

Well fine. :P

I read too much at a time. These 3 books are actually less than I usually end up reading. >.<

I'm also anxiously waiting for Half a King by Joe Abercrombie. It comes out in July and I'm super excited. I love everything he's ever written and his gritty, dark writing inspires me and lets me know that it's okay to be gritty and dark and depressing sometimes. :P Some of you read Kith nor Kin but my actually novel has a lot more grit and blood in it >_>
    Mother, Hellenic Pagan Priestess, and Resident Greek name expert ^_^ Call me Dantea or Remy

http://covertocoverediting.webs.com/ -- Editing services available for cheap.

Proud Mama to:
    Persephone Elysia Willow -- June 5th 2013
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014