Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

A couple of questions about Native American names...

#1... I feel ashamed not to know any beautiful names from Native American culture. What are some that you know of/like?

#2... Would it be considered offensive for someone who doesn't look Native American (although I have some in me) to use a name from that culture?

My children will most likely have dark features, though very pale skinned. (I imagine them to be Snow White look-a-likes as I have very fair skin and hair, but my SO is the opposite.) They won't get my blonde hair, but they might get my pale skin tone. Anyway, I guess what I'm asking is, could I get away with it?

loco for rococo

loves: Vespera, Venus, Thisbe, Zula
    Napoleon, Percival, Tavish, Sverre, Vega

✫      *

Good question. I have a bit of Native American, but I'm obviously Caucasian. I'm never sure how to acknowledge that part of my heritage. For what it's worth, I think if you pick names from the particular tribe in your ancestry, it should be fine. It's easier to find such names on other websites, but there are mistakes regarding origins and meanings, so do your research carefully!

I think that's the main thing I'm worrying about, being misinformed. My maternal greatx4 grandmother was full Cherokee (and likely my father's side of the family has some Native American ancestry as well,) and I think it would be nice to honor that bit of my heritage in particular.
    Last edited by oiseau; February 17th, 2014 at 10:06 PM.

loco for rococo

loves: Vespera, Venus, Thisbe, Zula
    Napoleon, Percival, Tavish, Sverre, Vega

✫      *

In your case I'd use a clearly Native American name as a middle if you want to honor your heritage, because I do think people might find it offensive if your children don't actually look like being (at least partly) Native American.

Unfortunately I don't know much Native American names either, but I like Tallulah.
    polina
    eighteen
    french/russian/swedish
    living in st. petersburg, russia
    university sophomore

clementine ・ jemima ・ harriet ・ mabel
    felix ・ sebastian ・ milo ・ oliver

Here's a link that should help: http://www.cherokeeroots.com/