Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help me narrow down this (very long!) list of crushes!

I've recently been going through this phase of really being attracted to these unusual, international (international in that they're used more abroad than here, although some of them are very international in the sense that they're used in many different countries) quirky names. I've managed to develop a huge (and I do mean huge!) list of crushes, and I need to narrow them down a good bit. Help me sort out this list, Berries!

All I've got sorted at this point is that I have room for 3 fresh combos, and I definitely want to use Odilia and Cosima somewhere, and I want a Danish name somewhere to honor my parents' connection to Denmark. And I'll probably use Poppy in some form or variation as a FN.

German/Germanic: Adalia, Rosamund, Leona, Adelina, Odilia, Maria, Ariane, Elisa.
    Dutch: Aleida, Beatrix, Anouk.
    French: Madeleine/Madelaine, Esmee, Etoile (not sure it really qualifies as a French name, but French culture, as well as stars, mean a lot to me personally, and I like that it reminds me of one of my favorite pieces by Mozart (my favorite composer!) Ah, vous dirai-je, Maman. Is it totally crazy as a name?), Capucine, Aurelie, Zoe, Agathe, Agnes (ahn-YESS in French), Odette, Cecile, Adeline, Anne-Sophie/Anne-Claire, Helene (saw this listed for several different cultures, but I liked it best pronounced the French way, ay-LEN), Sixtine.
    Greek: Lyra, Leda, Aster, Calla, Penelope, Anthea.
    Portuguese: Gracilia.
    Spanish/Catalan/Basque: Mireya, Beatriu, Adora, Alaia, Septima (maybe I'm kidding myself here, but I have been quite intrigued by number names like Sixtine and Septima lately...).
    Hebrew: Adaya, Adara, Ayelet, Ariella, Zelda, Zelie/Zelia, Livana, Eliora, Talia/Tali (predominantly because my sister is Natalie, nn Tallie...).
    Czech: Zora, Cecilie, Eliska, Fiala.
    Polish: Malgorzata, Zofia, Zosia, Gracja, Grazyna.
    Welsh: Winifred.
    Scottish: Isla, Greer/Grier, Eilidh.
    Danish: Laerke, Elisabet, Kaja/Kaia.
    Russian: Zoya, Lilia, Nadia.
    Italian: Annabella, Antonella, Cosima, Emilia, Gemma, Liliana, Violetta, Fiorella.
    Others: Zara, Hazel, Felicity, Poppy, Audrey. (I'm not really sure they're international, but I have been crushing on them lately, and they're contenders for FNs/MNs/NNs...)

And then there was Lydia/Lidia (Italian)/Lidiya (Russian), etc., that I really didn't know where to put, but I love all the variations equally, and Sylvia, which is so international and classic that I could have probably put her on every single one of these categories in some variation. Anyway, thoughts? favorites? Are any of them too crazy? Which would you like to see used?

Thanks, ladies!
    Ashley
    twenty-something namenerd and aspiring novelist

Isabelle Aurora Grace | Caleb Elias Joseph | Arianne Eleanor Daisy | Everett Joshua Charles
    Olivia Wren Camille | Jack August Wilder | Violet Ophelia Claire | Avery Ian George

Gonna pick my favorites from each category and throw in some suggestions.

German: Adalia. Love it. So pretty and an unexpected "Addy" name that wouldn't be so readily shortened to Addy.

Dutch: Neither are my style. I don't like the sound of Anouk, though I like how it looks.

French: Madeleine is sweet and of course, somewhat quintessential.
    I love Marguerite and Mireille for french names.
    Etoile I have heard used as a middle name and I thought it was lovely. The sound of the word itself isn't the prettiest in my opinion so I wouldn't use it as a fn.

Greek: Calla for sure. It's on my short list. I also like the idea of Calantha nn Cala, but myself would just use Calla.

Portuguese: I would rather see Graciela, which is latin so would work perfectly well in Portuguese.

Spanish/etc: Mireya (would it be spelled Mirella?).
    I find Beatriu very intriguing. I think it would be one of those things where people would still call her Beatrice or Beatrix even after repeated telling.
    Septima -- I knew someone with this middle name. She was the seventh child and the doctor actually suggested the name! They called her Seppy. I can't get over the Septic resemblance here.
    Anais is a Catalan & French variation of Anne, which I think is a neat name (somewhat infamous for the lovely Nin). Liliosa is also quite nice.

Hebrew: Eliora, find it so lovely.

Czech: If I had to choose I'd go with Fiala, but none of these grab me.

Polish: Zofia, but again, you'd be getting "Sophia?" a lot.

Welsh: No, no. I can't abide by this name. Love Carys. Eira, Ffion, Siani and Rhiannon are also lovely.

Scottish: I like all of these, but Greer would be my least favorite. Also love Fiona

Danish: Kaja/Kaia

Russian: Lilia and Lidiya

Italian: Cosima and Violetta. Also love Giana or Giovanna.

Others: I see why people like Hazel, but it's not my style. I do think Poppy would make a great nn or middle name for the right combo. Such as Eliora Poppy

Oh, wow. This is going to be super hard. I love (almost) ALL of these! I think I'll just separate them into two categories for each nationality/origin.
    Germanic
    LOVE
    Rosamund: I think I just love all Rose(a)- names, in general. There's something so sweet about them that I can't put my finger on.
    Leona
    Odilia: This one has a great religious meaning for you. It's not my favorite, I'll admit, but I love O names.
    Elisa

Don't love
    Adalia: I don't like Ad- names. At all. Like, none of them. I think it's partly because it's really trendy right now, partly because I just don't like the sound. Expect to see every single one of them under "don't love." lol I'm totally biased, so you can ignore that if you want.
    Adelina
    Ariane
    Maria

Dutch
    LOVE
    Beatrix
    Anouk: This name is so unexpectedly cute.

Don't love
    Aleida

French
    LOVE
    Madeleine/Madelaine
    Etoile: I think this would be adorable and chic. Maybe more like middle name territory, but I love it.
    Capucine: This one is on my list also! Capucine just feels so warm when you say it out loud.
    Odette: Who doesn't think of Swan Lake? Beautiful.
    Anne-Sophie/Anne-Claire
    Helene: Love the breathiness of Helene.

Don't love
    Esmee: Pretty sure Twilight ruined this name for me forever. That makes me sad...
    Aurelie
    Zoe: I've never liked Zoe as much as I dig Z names. It's too short maybe? Leaves me feeling unsatisfied.
    Agathe: I don't like Ag- names either, apparently.
    Agnes
    Cecile
    Adeline
    Sixtine: I think of the Pope. Not the current one, but Sixtus is a Papal name. I'm not against Catholicism or anything, number names just aren't my taste.

Greek
    LOVE
    Lyra
    Calla: I had this name on my list for awhile too, I believe. It can be an unusual flower name.
    Penelope: It's really grown on me. I used to not like it.

Don't love
    Leda
    Aster: I'm sure you know the things people say about this one. As much as I wish that didn't bother me, it does.
    Anthea

Portugese
    Gracilia really isn't my style, although Gracie would make a good nn for it.

Spanish/Catalan/Basque
    LOVE
    Mireya: Interesting and better alternative to plain, old, tired Maria.
    Beatriu

Don't love
    Adora
    Alaia
    Septima

Hebrew
    LOVE
    Zelda: What's not to love about this one? The Zelda Fitzgerald connection is my favorite.
    Zelie/Zelia
    Livana
    Eliora
    Talia/Tali

Don't love
    Adaya
    Adara
    Ayelet
    Ariella

Czech
    LOVE
    Zora: It's like a female Zoro!But I like it.
    Fiala

Don't love
    Cecilie
    Eliska

Polish
    LOVE
    Malgorzata
    Zofia
    Zosia: I've contemplated on adding this one to my list, but I feel like I already have too many Z names. Please, tell me I'm being silly and there's no such thing. ha
    Grazyna

Don't love
    Gracja

Welsh
    Winifred has never been a favorite, nor any of it's variants, cousins, distant relations.

Scottish
    LOVE
    Isla: The imagery I get with this name is the reason why I love it, I think. Gorgeous blue waves, foaming up and landing on the sands of some lonely, tropical Island in the Pacific.
    Eilidh

Don't love
    Greer/Grier: I feel like this is more boy than girl.

Danish
    LOVE
    Laerke
    Elisabet
    Kaja/Kaia
    (Surprise, surprise, I love all three... I really have surprised myself.)

Russian
    LOVE
    Zoya
    Lilia

Don't love
    Nadia

Italian
    LOVE
    Annabella
    Cosima: Probably my favorite Italian name of all time (along with Cosmo.) I love the pair so much that I refuse to let a children's cartoon throw me off of the latter.
    Emilia
    Gemma
    Liliana
    Violetta: This name is the prime example (to me) of all that is lacy and lady-like and lovely.
    Fiorella

Don't love
    Antonella

I actually like Zara, Hazel, Felicity, Poppy, AND Audrey. They all have a quality to them that is feminine and yet, playful too. Even Felicity isn't too dainty to get her hands dirty. Also, you can never go wrong with Lidya or Sylvia. Both are gorgeous (along with their alternatives.) Okay, I think my fingers are tired now from all this frantic typing. Woo! I think they would all probably make great additions to your list. (Give Nadia the boot, though. She's shifty.)
    Last edited by oiseau; February 17th, 2014 at 06:17 PM.

loco for rococo

✫

fanciful: Twila Posey, Odette Francesca, Orlaith Glimmer, Fianna Ruby, Poet Cadenza, Indie Nell.
    ///             ///             ///    

Ouen Amos, Cillian Ambrose, Oswin Maverick, Casimir Orlando, Oscar Phineas.  

I like most of your names and I love that you have taken the time to gather so many, and I also have a crush on Septima. The only one I think is a bit too crazy is Malgorzata. Most of these names would wear well in Europe and America, but I think some of the French ones would be butchered by Americans.

Odette, Leda, Ariella, Ayelet, Violetta, Lidia (lee-dee-uh), Gemma, Eliska and Zora really stood out to me.
    http://www.onceuponatimebabynames.com/
    http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9772380 (please vote!)

Due December 13, 2014 (12/13/14) It's a boy!
    Castalia, Vasilisa, Indrina, Calluna, Faustine, Hildana, Selenia, Lisandra, Silveria, Vitellia, Satyana
    ... Alaric, Silvan, Alistair, Stellan, Rainer, Evander or Evren, Caspian, Howell, Theron, Sander

German/Germanic: Rosamund, Adelina, Odilia, Ariane.
    Dutch: Beatrix.
    French: Madeleine, Esmee, Zoe, Agathe, Agnes (ahn-YESS in French), Odette, Cecile, Adeline, Anne-Sophie.
    Greek: Lyra, Calla, Penelope, Anthea.
    Spanish/Catalan/Basque: Mireya, Alaia
    Hebrew: Adara, Ayelet, Zelda, Eliora, Talia/Tali
    Czech: Cecilie, Eliska
    Polish: Zosia, Grazyna.
    Welsh: Winifred.
    Scottish: Eilidh.
    Danish: Laerke
    Russian: Nadia
    Italian: Cosima, Emilia, Gemma, Violetta
    Others: Felicity, Audrey.
    All the best,