Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    My fiancés' has a Vietnamese name that sounds slightly different from the English name Hugh. It doesn't matter too much to him so he is okay with either pronunciation.

For me on the other hand, my fn is a Hawaiian name and basically mangled anywhere outside of my home state but correct pronunciation is essential. I feel like when my mother was dreaming of me, growing to love me, and imagining the life I would live even before I was born, she attached all those hopes and dreams to my name. I feel like there is one correct way to say it, and if they can't handle it, my middle name is simple enough.

Just my thoughts.

My daughter has a name like you describe. In the States everyone calls her Karen, but her name is actually Karin and she is named after her German great-grandmother, so when we are in Germany or when I or my mother say her name, we pronounce it the correct way.

When she does start school though, I don't really want her to grow accustomed to Karen, so she will go by K or whatever name she chooses (Olympia, her mn maybe??)

I feel like I do, and I'm really happy my name translates so easily (… now. Not my legal name, but the one I go by).
    My legal name does translate decently in to the other languages I speak, but I've never felt like my legal name was really *my* name anyway, so hearing other versions of it, I don't even realize people are referring to me.

I go by Lucy here, and used Lucía while I was living in Spain. I'm from a bilingual (French/ English) city and also have had my name spelled Lucie from time to time. I answer to them all, as well as my legal name.

I know many people with one Francophone parent, or people whose grandparents are European, so it's pretty common for people here to have different pronunciations for their names at one point or another. Even then, I did my schooling in immersion and all of us had English names, and were called the French version/ pronunciation at school.

I definitely want to use names that are easily tweakable for travel/ living abroad/ language learning.
    I don't think changing the pronunciations in my experiences have been wrong- they've been useful.

I will say, I have Eulalia near the top of my list, and I don't like yoo-LAY-lee-a. I would definitely push for the ehu-LAW-liya pronunciation if I used it for a daughter and "yoo-LAY-lee-a" would be wrong to me.
    Iris, on the other hand, is one I'd be equally happy with as EYE-riss, or EE-rees, depending on where we are at the time.
    I just met someone whose name is spelled in French, but he introduced himself with the English pronunciation. He's francophone, and said technically it's the French version, but the English version isn't wrong to him. He has a French, and an English parent, though, so he grew up hearing both.

I have certain Basque names on my list that I am head-over-heels for (like Leire) but I can't imagine my parents ever saying that right, and anglicizing it in to something like "lay-ray" just makes me cringe.

I definitely see the advantage to something like Róbert- where it works in Icelandic, and in English (and French, easily translates in to Spanish, and many other languages).

I also got rambly, but I do think it's a really interesting topic
    Lucia
    Eleanora, Iris, Minerva, , Sela, Seraphine
    Balthazar, Caius, Felix, Gideon, Sebastian