Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Edited for privacy.
    Last edited by charlieandperry1; July 28th, 2014 at 03:29 PM.

When I was living in France, everyone pronounced my name with the stress on the last "a", when in Brazil the stress is on the "ta". It really irritated me when people kept pronouncing it wrong after I had corrected them more than once. It just didn't feel like it was my name, you know, the one my parents chose for me. The worst was when they changed it to Natalie (that is definitely NOT my name).

But then again, growing up I heard just this one pronounciation. Maybe if I had grown up knowing that both pronounciations were chosen by my parents as my name and I identified with both I would feel differently about it.

Hope my experience helps you on your choice
    Natália, 21, Law student from Brazil.

Amália . Flora . Tarsila
    Inácio . João Manoel . Santiago

Alma | Celina | Cora | Elis | Isaura | Lenina | Lucília | Marília | Paloma | Salete
    Abel | Álvaro | Daniel | Fernão | Hector | Hélio | Leandro | Otávio | Renato | Vicente

I think that what you feel about multiple pronunciations, your child will feel. If you don't make a big deal out of it and the child grows up hearing both pronunciations, he won't mind it or think anything of it. I have many international friends who have emigrated to the states and are basically made to change their name entirely (e.g. Javid often introducing himself as David). At least this way, the name is the same and he doesn't have to change it to suit whatever culture he ends up in.

I have a number of friends who live in America but are from non-English speaking households. Most of them chose a nickname that was easy for Americans to say once they started school. Some chose nicknames close to their given names, others chose completely random nicknames like "Frank" for Ju-won. Most people who have names that are difficult to pronounce in English get impatient with people mangling their names. I would think this would be similar with the Ro-bair/Robert situation you are describing. I don't think it would be a big deal, in any case, for your son. If it bothered him, he could always insist on the pronunciation he prefers when he gets old enough to say something about it.

Quote Originally Posted by charlieandperry1 View Post
    But I also think that if you're going to use a name from another culture, you should stick with the true pronunciation else it seems a tad insensitive to that culture.
    Yeah, that was another worry for me. Although on the other hand Icelandic is totally going to be the majority culture and language; I strongly predict that it'll be harder to get our kids to speak English well than Icelandic, or to identify as English as much as Icelandic. It's weird to think of English as a minority or threatened language, but it seems like that's the way it can work out for bilingual kids living in another language environment, because they don't have a great sense of the global picture. So... with that in mind I was thinking maybe it would be worth sacrificing a bit of Icelandicness to gain a little Englishness? For a girl I'd ideally like to exercise my right as a foreigner and use a foreign middle name, but because of family traditions a first boy's middle name is set in stone (Karl).

Tbh, I probably wouldn't use Róbert if I decided it wouldn't be a good idea for English people to say Robert. I would rather then have an easy-to-pronounce, fairly accessible Icelandic name that is obviously not English. I think Róbert would be pronounced as Robert far, far more often than people would mispronounce, say, Orri because, as I said, it's deceptively familiar.

Although the other thing is that the traditional Icelandic nickname Robbi is pronounced almost exactly the same as Robbie. And I love love love Robbi. This is all majorly premature btw, we are not trying for a baby right now although probably will sometime later this year or next year.