Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Banned names in Sonora, Mexico

Just read *this* article, which includes the complete list of banned names. Article is in Spanish, so if you don't read it you'll have to use google translate or the like. Hermione being on the list is what caught my attention. The reason given for it being on the list is to protect children from bullying. I'm against naming laws for the most part, and this is why. A legitimate, beautiful name has been banned because of "bullying." I'd be interested to read cases of little Hermione's living in Sonora, Mexico who have been bullied for their name.

Also on the list is Zoila Rosa. I'm not sure why, it must be a reference to a person or character I'm unfamiliar with. Can anyone enlighten me?
    Considering...
    Cordelia Eilonwy Snow ● Evadne Polaris Fae ● Isabeau Jane Sophronia ● Lorelei Nimue Ondine
    Pandora Vivienne Swan ● Thisbe Octavia Wildrose ● Thora Khione Swan

●●● ●●● ●●●
    Caspian Ithuriel Wilder ● Damian Rainer Sparrow ● Evander Ithuriel Sol
    Gwydion Alaric Hart ● Malachi Tristan Bjorn ● Phineas Robin Blaise ● Theodore Peregrine Llyr

our furbabies: Sebastian & Oleander

I think naming laws are a good thing - as they protect a child from being named Batman, Email, Burger King, Hitler or some other offensive, easily teasable and generally ridiculous moniker.

When countries stipulate the parents can only choose from a list of names - I find that too restrictive, but regulations that appy to individual cases are important to have to protect the children in question.
    Rowena Louise

Whovian. Gamer. Name Lover

Violet Seraphina • Isobel Cassidy • Zoë Linnea • Xanthe Cordelia • Hazel Amaryllis • Elizabeth Briar

Theodore Atticus • Adrian Rhys • Ciaran Lucas • Oliver Maxwell • Elijah Felix • Kaiden Matthias

Right, but there's that slippery slope from Batman to Hermione or Zoila, as evidenced by this list. There's nothing offensive about Hermione. Whether it lends itself to teasing or ridicule is up for debate, in my opinion.
    Considering...
    Cordelia Eilonwy Snow ● Evadne Polaris Fae ● Isabeau Jane Sophronia ● Lorelei Nimue Ondine
    Pandora Vivienne Swan ● Thisbe Octavia Wildrose ● Thora Khione Swan

●●● ●●● ●●●
    Caspian Ithuriel Wilder ● Damian Rainer Sparrow ● Evander Ithuriel Sol
    Gwydion Alaric Hart ● Malachi Tristan Bjorn ● Phineas Robin Blaise ● Theodore Peregrine Llyr

our furbabies: Sebastian & Oleander

I agree about Hermione being lovely and legitimate - plus, wouldn't kids just think of Harry Potter? "Nyah-nyah, you're named after a really clever person with super cool magical powers" just doesn't seem very hurtful, in the event that any kids actually would tease a little Hermione anyway.
    But there have been a couple of incidences in Australia where I think naming laws have been a good thing - one little boy was almost named '4Real' (if the parents didn't choose another name before 3 months was up, he'd have been renamed 'Forreal'). I think there've been a few Hitlers who've had to be renamed as well - which is a really good thing, imo.
    I'm Claire, an Australian teenberry. I love names and kids, but I'm not going to become a mum for at least ten years. Until then, I'm just playing with possibilities.

For girls, I love:
    Matilda - Iulia - Rosa - Annalise - Linnea - Eva

For boys, I love: Anders - Reuben - James - Jude - Caspar - Thomas

Guilty pleasures are: Blaise - Orion - Caspian --- Madelief - Isolde - Hero

I would be fine if we had some naming rules here in the US like "You can't name your kid Batman" or "The symbols ' - _ @ etc do not belong in a childs name unless it is part of the actual name in the culture it comes from..." etc.

Now I don't agree with a government just arbitrarily deciding "I don't like the name Hermione so I'm going to put it on the banned list with 'teasing' as the reason." I think that's abuse of power.

I also don't really agree with:

Cheyenne
    Gordonia -- isn't this just a girl version of Gordon?
    Hermione
    Marciana

And as for Zoila Rosa...I don't know. I tried to search but can't really find anything :/
    Mother, Hellenic Pagan Priestess, and Resident Greek name expert ^_^ Call me Dantea or Remy

http://covertocoverediting.webs.com/ -- Editing services available for cheap.

Proud Mama to:
    Persephone Elysia Willow -- June 5th 2013
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014