Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Does anyone know of any...

movies that are available in English and French on the same DVD/BluRay? I'm attempting (and I think succeeding! ) to learn French, and it's something I really want to be fluent in one day, and I've been told several times by several people that it's good to expose yourself to both the written and spoken word. I figured getting my hands on some movies that are available in both French and English (not just English with French subtitles) would be a not-bad way to start. I've checked some of the DVDs/BluRays around my family's house, but most of them are in just Spanish and English. Can you think of any that are in both French and English? Or do you have a suggestion for where I might look to be able to find that information out? I remember watching The Grinch Who Stole Christmas (the Jim Carrey version) in French in high school, but I'm thinking of something not so Christmasy at this point.

I am generally attracted to historical/literary/happily-ever-after/epic type movies (think Jane Austen, Sleepless in Seattle, Leap Year, The Scarlet Pimpernel, Victor Hugo, The Chronicles of Narnia, The Avengers/Spiderman/Superman/GI Joe/etc.), but I'm open to checking out anything.

Thanks, Berries!
    Ashley
    twenty-something namenerd and aspiring novelist

Isabelle + Arianne + Olivia + Violet + Charlotte + Emmeline + Eleni + Grace + Audrey + Eva + Catherine + Tess + Zoe
    Caleb + Everett + Jack + Avery + Samuel + Zane + Brody + Declan + Caspar + Grant + Rory + Thomas + Peter

I quickly looked at my dvd collection and this is what I found:
    The Harry Potter movies
    Phantom of the Opera
    Tangled (possibly?)
    A lot of movies just have the french subtitles.
    You could always look at youtube. I found parts of Anastasia (1997) in French.
    Raquel-21 year old who loves names, books, and languages

Ladies: Catherine Isabella,Helena Margaret, Clara Josephine, Amelia Juliet, Louisa Genevieve, Eva Rosalind, Rose Fiammetta, Edith Lenore, Charlotte Rosamund, Eleanora Winter
    Gentlemen: Asher Frederick, Nicholas Hugo, Henry Oliver, William Grey, Matthew Isaiah, Thomas Alaric, George Everett

Yay for learning French! Bonne chance!

I'm not sure whether you're up for ordering online, but any DVDs sold in Canada have to have English and French options, so if you order movies off of Amazon.ca (instead of amazon.com), they should have the option to watch in French. You could also order American movies from Amazon.fr and they will have the option of watching with the French dubbing.

As @rgp19 said, you could try YouTube as well. I just did a search for Orgueil et Préjugés (Pride and Prejudice) and found the miniseries in French. That may be helpful, especially if you're already familiar with the story. I found reading Harry Potter in German really helpful because I knew the plot so didn't get totally confused when there were too many new words.

I can't remember whereabouts in the US you live, but where I am there is an awesome public library system that has foreign films, so you could try there for French films. If you watch French movies with English subtitles, you might learn some new vocab.

I follow a blogger who is teaching her children French, and this is a master list she made of good French films, so you could try finding these somewhere (library, netflix, etc.): http://babybilingual.blogspot.ca/200...nt-freaky.html
    Miriam ~ Helena ~ Estella ~ Beatrice ~ Anastasia ~ Alice ~ Veronica ~ Sarah
    Paul ~ Wesley ~ Walter ~ Edmund ~ Isaac ~ Abram ~ Gabriel

(Still) trying for baby#1
    Avatar: Nathan Altman, Portrait of Anna Akhmatova

A Little Princess is - that's the only one I can think of from memory. It's a fairly old DVD so it might differ on newer versions but it's definitely dubbed into French somewhere.

It's a definite historical-literary-happily-ever-after film! It's honestly still one of my favourites, it's so beautiful and makes me cry every time.
    ★ O L I V I A ★
    (seventeen, student / traveller, obsessively maternal and owner of darling black cat Shura)

Emmett - Alec - Rufus - Wilfred - Eoghan
    Trudie - Fenella - Aoife - Jemima - Eilidh

A favorite of mine is Les Intouchables. I also enjoy Les quatre cents coups and the Claire Denis film Chocolat. I also listen to podcasts from http://www.musee-orsay.fr a lot.
    Tabby
    College student, nerd, Pinterest addict.

"The most beautiful voice in the world is that of an educated Southern woman."

Belles: Eleanor/Elinor, Isabel/Isobel, Cleo, Estelle, Angela, Virginia, Ruth, Caroline, Georgia, Cassidy, Magnolia, Elizabeth, May (*any of these names may be prefaced with Mary, Anne, Anna, or Jane)
    Beaus: James, Alden, Emery, William, Russell, Howard, Chandler, Colby