0 0%
  • Trendy (think Ava)

10 43.48%
  • Still Vintage (think Violet)

12 52.17%
  • Vintage (think Esther)

1 4.35%

Penelope: Vintage or Trendy?

How do you view Penelope? Is it still a vintage beauty to you or just very trendy?
    What sibling names of the same vibe would you pair it with?

To me, the name is very interesting since it has such a "grand" vibe in German (at least to me) and I don't think it's even in the Top 500, whilst in English, it does feel a little more modern.

Btw. I don't care if you dislike the name, at all, so if that's all you have to say then please do not comment!
    Last edited by opheliaflora; March 13th, 2015 at 06:05 PM.
    Alice Matilda | Flora Penelope | Rose Lavinia | Ada Rosalind

Charlotte - Clara - Cordelia - Emma - Arthur - August - Elliott - Henry - Hugo

I would say vintage, along the lines of Violet.
    Piers Lachlan | Gray Everett | Tadhg Wilder
    Jack Wilder | Henry Birch | Charlie Hawthorne

Maebry Elizabeth Posy | Eloise Margaret Birdie | Coralie Jane Magnolia
    Sophie Jane Magnolia | Emma Eloise Maebry | Isabel Margaret Birdie "Isby"

heart my son

I would say, according to your definitions, closer to Violet (and I think Violet and Penelope make a great pair! haha), but while I don't think it's really TRENDY yet, it is very associated to pop-culture, from Greek mythology to celebrities (Penelope Cruz and the Kardashian little girl) to the movie Penelope that came out several years ago. I mean, I don't think it's really trendy yet, but it does have a very pop-culture feel to it, if that makes sense.
    Ashley
    twenty-something namenerd & aspiring novelist

Isabelle Aurora Grace + Caleb Elias Joseph + Arianne Eleanor Daisy + Everett Joshua Charles + Olivia Wren Camille
    Grant Frédéric Conrad + Violet Emilia Mary + Casper Nathaniel Eden + Grace Odilia Lily + Samuel Gaspard John

I've recently started a new story--feel free to come along with me for the journey! havengermany.blogspot.com
    Chapter 1 is up! And an author's note! (Alas, don't get too excited.)

Penelope always felt very regal and ancient to me, because I read the Odyssey as a child and studied Latin and Greek mythology in school. To me, "vintage" means names that were popular in the 1900s to 1940s, and I've never met or heard of anyone in real life named Penelope who is over the age of ten, so it definitely feels "trendy" as opposed to "vintage"- but the trend it fits into is the classic Greek names that feel fresh and maybe even a little quirky, like Zoe and Calliope. They're cute and bouncy but also old and regal. It's definitely a trend I'm a fan of, and I hope it sticks around and transcends the trend status.

I think right now it is still vintage but popular. I think if you give it 5 more years it will be in megapopular Ava territory which is too bad because it is a gorgeous name. I would go with Penelope and Ariadne for sisters.
    Astrid Coraline (04/13)
    Freya Vesper (06/13/15)