Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Is This Right?

I was named after Cate Blanchett! As long as it isn't some crazy out there name that the only connotation is from that character, I think it's just fine.

If you were naming your child Francis after the character/dauphin of Reign/prince of France that would be okay but if you were naming your child Dumbledore from Harry Potter, I would see that as a different story.

But in the end, it's only your opinion that really matters!
    Catelin Geneva
    Just highschooler by day author by night obsessed with names and future babies when she's much older.

Cecily Eirwen Ophelia, Belphoebe Judith Primrose, Isolde Bellona Winter, Circe Guinevere Florence
    ::
    Rainier Gideon Wolf, Eddard Severus Wolf, Peregrin Julius Harrow, Dorian Oliver Fox, Casimir Endymion Silver

A lot of the names I like are influenced by book characters especially. Some are really obvious like Caspian, Sherlock, Edmund, Lyra, and Dorian, but some are a lot more subtle: Indigo, Saffron, Fabian, Sylas (Silas), Jenna, Saren and Jessamine. I've got loads more literary inspired names, but a lot fewer TV show inspired ones; I think it just happens that the names I like happen to come from shows based on books!
    Wholocked, history and chemistry loving teenberry (16).
    Hoping to be a mummy in the very distant future. Dreaming of...
    ✦ Pandora Valencia Fae ✧ Evanthe Lyra Annabeth ✦
    Little Misses
    ✧ Caspian Sherlock Walter ✦ Phoenix Arthur Blaise ✧
    Mister Men

"'Mycroft' is the name you gave me; if you could possibly struggle all the way to the end."
    • Mycroft Holmes • Sherlock (BBC) • His Last Vow •

Most of the names I like tend to come from books or movies. I have a long list:
    Calvin - A Wrinkle in Time/Calvin and Hobbes
    Matilda - Matilda by Roald Dahl
    Walter - Fringe
    Liesel - The Book Thief
    Astrid - Fringe/Doctor Who/Astrid Lindgren
    Hayden - Unwind by Neal Shusterman

Not to mention the majority of the Doctor Who ones - Alonzo, Laszlo, Astrid, Rose, Martha, Rory, Clara.
    So in short, yeah. I'm all for it. I think naming your child after a character you love and admire is just as meaningful as naming them after some distant relative.
    Teen writer, pianist, sci-fi geek, cat-owner and name enthusiast.

Calvin Augustus ~ Matilda Josephine
    Roland | Walter | Alonzo | Orson | Beatrice | Elspeth | Agatha | Sunny
    Fitzgerald | Winston | Montgomery | Hugo | Clemency | Zelda | Astrid | Ophelia

Did with our first, and totally will with our second if it's a boy. And both names are so rare, they are instantly recognizable by fans of the show. Maeby, after Maeby Funke on Arrested Development, and Zefram, after Star Trek character Zefram Cochrane, the inventor of warp speed. Obviously it doesn't bother us!
    Proud Mommy to Maeby Alana (8/6/10) and Saela Eliza (6/24/14)

Marlow Simone - Romy Corinne
    Zefram Eli - Miles Thatcher

I have a few favourite names that have definitely been influenced from books:
    Caspian - Narnia
    Hermione - Harry Potter
    Luna - Harry Potter
    Lysander - A Midsummer Night's Dream
    Matilda - Matilda
    I'm 19 with a furbaby named Frederick

* Beatrix * Clementine * Penelope * Seraphina *

* Theodore * Hugo * Caspian * Arthur * Lysander *