Names Searched Right Now:

View Poll Results: How much do you like the name?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • I love it! Beautiful name.

27 30.00%
  • I like it

21 23.33%
  • I like it, but I think of where you dock a boat

11 12.22%
  • It's OK--no strong feelings either way

19 21.11%
  • I don't like it

17 18.89%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Thanks!! I have never lived anywhere with a marina. Sounds like I better keep that up if I choose this name. Merci!

What about Mariana, pronounced Mary- Anna or Mary- Ahna. I prefer the later. I think it is cuter than Mariana but still is similar.
    Check out my blog! Click here! New blog post today!

I lived in a fishing town in Alaska where nearly everyone makes their living from the sea. Many, many of their daughters were named Marina (and various other sea-oriented names), so actually she might fit right in if you do ever live near a marina.

I grew up on a small island (we had two marinas) and there are about ten marinas within twenty minutes of my childhood home. Despite this, or maybe because of it, I love the name. I think it's great and I love the meaning. I know a lot of people that make money from fishing or otherwise working at or around marinas and docks, and I can see where it might be odd for someone in that position, who uses the word fairly often, but I love it.

I have a young cousin named Marina and behind her parents back everyone in my family asks the grandparents why the parents named their child after a boat yard (in less kind words). Like everyone. They had enough tact not to say it after the child was born.
    It is a very strong connection that we got immediately upon hearing the name. If that's okay with you, then go for it.