Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Scandinavian names that work in English

What ideas do you have for girls names that work well in both Swedish/Danish/Finnish and English?

I'm currently massively in love with the idea of Laerke (Danish word for "lark", I believe), said LAIR-keh, kind of. It's quite unusual, but still looks similar enough to the English word that I think it'd work. I've been going on an international name hunt over the past week or two, and I also really like Kaia/Kaja, Dagny, and Elisabet (eh-LEE-sah-bet/eh-LEE-zah-bet). I'm clearly not a Scandinavian expert, though--I found very few that seemed to have that balance of unusual quirkiness but still usability in the United States. I do really love those four, though, and would be delighted to meet a little girl with any of those names!
    Ashley
    twenty-something namenerd and aspiring novelist

Isabelle Aurora Grace | Caleb Elias Joseph | Arianne Eleanor Daisy | Everett Joshua Charles
    Olivia Wren Camille | Jack August Wilder | Violet Ophelia Claire | Avery Ian George

My favourites are: Katja/Katia, Astrid, Ingrid, Beatrix, and Viveka.

There are the more common Scandinavian names (some made famous by famous Scandinavians) like:
    Annika
    Astrid
    Ingrid
    Greta
    Liv
    Lykke
    Maja
    Maren

Then there are the Scandinavian variations of already known names like:
    Cathrine/Katrine/Kathrine (Catherine/Katherine)
    Filippa (Philippa)
    Josefina/Josefine (Josephine)
    Karolina (Caroline)
    Lovisa (Louisa)
    Margareta/Margrete/Margrethe (Margaret)

Lastly there are the somewhat-uncommon-but-still-doable ones like:
    Alma
    Alva
    Alvilda
    Asta
    Frida
    Ida
    Kaja
    Kajsa
    Katinka
    Laerke/Lerke
    Lilja
    Linnea
    Malin
    Margit
    Ronja
    Saga
    Silja
    Sunniva
    Tuva
    Vilja

Quote Originally Posted by aym View Post
    ... Rune ...
    I would be immensely surprised to see Rune on a girl in Scandinavia as it's predominantly a boys name
    Zelia • Twenty • Film, history and royalty connoisseur • I have a personal blog and one about royalty
    Exporting beautiful old Danish names, exotic Greenlandic names and Greenlandic sibling names
    Henry Ásgeirr Edmund • Amaury Charles Fyodor "Theo" • Alexander Adelin Lórien "Sasha" • Asa Edouard Ivik
    Cosima Ingrid Zenobia "Mimi" • Matilda Ivalo Galadriel "Tilda" • Gaia Margaret Undómiel • Asta Catherine Françoise "Shazza"