Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help With Icelandic/Scandinavian Names?

Hey Berries,

I have been really interested in Scandinavian names lately, more toward the Icelandic ones. I know there are a few experts out there in this category, but it's rather hard to find them.

I am a big fan of adventure & nature, so I am looking for names with adventurous meanings. For example, Finnur & Finna mean wanderer. I love names with a woodsy or oceany feel. I have tried looking on some Norse name websites, but it's hard to find names with the right meanings.

Is there anyone out there that could help me?

Thanks!
    Jude, blackbird.

Aleka // Audrey // Cass // Chloe // Etta // Haley // Frances // India // Margot // Marian
    Miranda // Molly // Rosi // Samantha // Stephanie

I don't know too many, but the ones I know, I love.

Elke (prn Elle-kah) - is probably my favorite

Elsa - equally beautiful.. Slightly apprehensive about using it thought due to its new use in Disney

Meika/meike ( prn mee-kah)

Liv - simple, elegant and classy

Laika (prn ly-kah) - I love it, although it is more of a pet name.

Asia (prn Asha) - beautiful but tends to be mispronounced as the country. Could be a positive though as by looks alone it gives off a nature vibe, but is Scandinavian in roots and sound.

Ville ( prn vill-ee) - boys name... think Willy...but with a V.

Astrid - more common, but fits your theme if being both Scandinavian and nature themed

Kaja (prn Kaia) - in these European countries is is common to see the use of a j in place or in conjunction with an i. J makes more of a y sound. In an English speaking country it is a little hard for people to wrap their head around ( my middle name is Marija, and people always have a hard time with this... I still like it though).

Maja (prn maia) - see above.

Yuna - pretty alternative to Luna

Anze (prn ahn-jhay) - male

Casper - male, gaining popularity

Elva - female vs of Alf. Cutsie name

Ida (prn ee-dah) - more common, but most often not used with the European pronunciation.

Iris - yes this is common here, but it has also been a common name in Norway for years :-) nature theme ;-)

Kai/kaj - male. Simple, strong and soft at the same time. Gaining popularity.
    Last edited by seraares; February 12th, 2014 at 02:01 AM.

Ps Kai also have the bonus of meaning "ocean" in Japanese I believe? But is also a common nordic name. Again, 2 birds, one stone.

Quote Originally Posted by jasmine.lee View Post
    Hey Berries,

I have been really interested in Scandinavian names lately, more toward the Icelandic ones. I know there are a few experts out there in this category, but it's rather hard to find them.

I am a big fan of adventure & nature, so I am looking for names with adventurous meanings. For example, Finnur & Finna mean wanderer. I love names with a woodsy or oceany feel. I have tried looking on some Norse name websites, but it's hard to find names with the right meanings.

Is there anyone out there that could help me?

Thanks!
    Yes! I can 100% help you! I live in Iceland and am fluent in Icelandic.

First pro tip: Finnur and Finna do not mean wanderer. People get confused (even Icelanders) because að finna is the verb for to find, but the name has no etymological links to that. Finna is more of a nickname, sometimes used as a full name, but you are correct it is the feminine version of Finnur and has the same meaning. It literally means "someone from Finland" ("Finn") or someone of that ethnicity more precisely (the Samis and the Lapps). In Iceland the Finns were known as magicians, so it sort of means "wizard", but not literally. The original etymology of Finn is not known for sure, although some sites will assert one of the theories. Completely different from the Celtic name Finn, also.

Give me a minute and I will list some nature Icelandic names for you
    Last edited by jackal; February 12th, 2014 at 09:26 AM.

OK, so there are lot of names with elements of the sea and some with trees (although there are not so many trees here...)

Both haf and sjór mean the sea, so names beginning with Haf (pronounced haav) or Sæ (pronounced sigh) have that meaning, e.g.:

Hafþór / Sæþór (Sea-Thor)
    Sævar (Sea-Warrior)
    Sæbjörn (Sea-Bear)
    Sæmundur (Sea-Protector)
    Hafsteinn (Sea-Stone)
    Hafliði (Sea-Farer / Sea-Warrior)
    Ægir (Sea / Water / name of the Sea God)

Sædís / Hafdís (Sea-Fairy)
    Sæunn (Sea-Love)
    Alda / Bylgja (Wave)

There are more of the Haf- Sæ- ones, but these ones you hear fairly regularly. Then a few tree names are:

Reynir (Rowan)
    Birkir / Bjarki (Birch)
    Viðar (probably Forest-Warrior)

Björk (Birch)
    Eik (Oak)

To be honest, Icelanders are bigger on birds (tons of bird names), animals and flowers than trees. Probably because of the scarcity of trees here. Are you interested in those sorts of meanings also?

By the way, Astrid is not nature-themed. It means Love-Pretty. Isn't Laika also Russian for "Barker"? Totally a dog's name and not Scandinavian.
    I also admit that most of these you might have to search for the Norwegian or Swedish equivalent to make them palatable, because Icelandic special characters are not going to be comprehensible to non-Icelandic speakers.
    Last edited by jackal; February 12th, 2014 at 09:55 AM.