Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

What's your favorite nationality for names?

I've been doing a bit of an overhaul on my girls' list lately, and I've really been into these unexpected, quirky international names from all over the world. I've already looked at some Italian, Russian, Dutch, Danish, French, etc. lists, and I have a lovely list going, but I'm still looking, and I was wondering what everyone's favorite nationalities were when it comes to looking for names. I've always been partial to French and Polish names in particular, but I'm trying to branch out.

And while we're at it, feel free to list your favorite international names, too, if you like.

Thanks, Berries!
    Ashley
    twenty-something namenerd and aspiring novelist

Isabelle Aurora Grace | Caleb Elias Joseph | Arianne Eleanor Daisy | Everett Joshua Charles
    Olivia Wren Camille | Jack August Wilder | Violet Ophelia Claire | Avery Ian George

I probably have a little bit of everything on my lists. But if I had to pick favourites...I really like Welsh, Irish and Greek names the most.

Irish, Cornish, Celtic & Welsh for me. They have links to my background so I feel really connected to them.

Some of my favourites:

Aibhlinn (ave-leen)
    Aideen (Ay-deen)
    Aileen
    Alannah
    Aoibheann (eve-een(
    Aoife (Ee-fa)
    Bridget
    Caoimhe (kee-va)
    Fianna (fee-ina)
    Fionnuala (finn-oo-lah)
    Grainne (graw-nya)
    Kathleen
    Keela
    Maeve
    Nessa/Neasa
    Nora
    Orlaith
    Roisin (Ro-sheen)
    Saoirse (Sear-sha)

Branwen
    Cordelia
    Fenella
    Imogen
    Melvina

Elowen
    Endellion
    Kerensa
    Merryn
    Tressa

Anwen
    Arwen
    Bronwen
    Briallen
    Ceridwen
    Cerys
    Eira (ay-ra)
    Ffion (fee-on)
    Guinevere
    Gwendoline
    Lynette
    Meredith
    Morwenna
    Rhiannon
    Rowena
    Seren

Florence, Edith, Doris, Alice, Elsie, Lillian, Violet, Mabel, Ada, Evelyn
    Eva, Edna, Minnie, Martha, Amelia, Phoebe, Sylvia, Hazel, Agatha, Beatrice

Matthew, Ernest, Louis, Christopher, Andrew, Albert, George, Joshua, James, Harry
    Freddie, Henry, Adam, Teddy, Daniel, Percy, Mark, Walter, Stanley, Liam

when you've been fighting for it all your life, you've been struggling every day and night,
    it's how a superhero learns to fly

Haley, I should look into Welsh names! I have a significant amount of Welsh blood in me, and I'm always wanting to find a Welsh name I can get really excited about, but for some reason, they never seem to excite me enough. I do like Seren, Gwendolen, and Lili (the Welsh spelling of Lily) a fair amount, and I've liked Gwendolen for as long as I can remember, but I don't know. I'll have to look into it.

@mrs_anton_yelchin_1990 - Greek names! I keep meaning to look at them, haha. I already have the very Greek Eleni on my list (and several others with Greek origins, like Catherine). I'm just afraid it's going to be a TON of names, so it'll take a while. But thanks for reminding me.

I've looked through German and Scottish names this morning, and I have Polish, Greek, Hebrew, and Welsh on my list (possibly Czech, too?). Any others I should add?
    Ashley
    twenty-something namenerd and aspiring novelist

Isabelle Aurora Grace | Caleb Elias Joseph | Arianne Eleanor Daisy | Everett Joshua Charles
    Olivia Wren Camille | Jack August Wilder | Violet Ophelia Claire | Avery Ian George

You should look at the Mabinogion for Welsh inspiration: Arianrhod and Rhiannon are both lovely and 'Dylan' comes from the stories as well. I'm also a huge fan of Greek names... so, so pretty and generally underused.