Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I really like Ruby-Faye. I've never heard Ruby in a double name, so it's very refreshing.
    Emily, 19, Southeastern US.
    College student, name nerd, and generally geeky.
    ♂ | Samuel Edward George Arthur Ezra Gideon James
    ♀ | Jane Helen Anne Cora Phoebe Gwen Catherine

Thank you for the feedback and suggestions! More are certainly welcome!

We live in Germany and double first names are a little more common over here but we do want to move to the States eventually....there I feel like people would often shorten it to just Ruby, which would be fine. I think we would still probably give her a middle name but would have to see how it all flows together and if feels like it's just too much. I agree, some double first names can be over the top but I'm glad for the positive feedback

Quote Originally Posted by tillytally View Post
    Generally I'm not a fan of double firsts but I'm really drawn to the idea with 'Ruby'. If you're keen to stick to a single syllable second part then Faye or Grace or Jane would be the obvious routes (and of these Faye is my favourite) but you could also try Claire? There are a few two syllable names that you could work with - Clara and Anna spring to mine. You could even try a three syllable in the form of something like Iona?

Claire would be lovely but it's already the middle name of our older daughter, chosen as it's a family name.

I love double barrelled names. I have a few on my list to honor a relative because I didn't want to use her exact name.

I like Ruby-Faye. I have Ruby-Lane on my long list.

Other names:
    Ruby-Grace
    Ruby-May
    Ruby-Sage
    Ruby-Jane
    Ruby-Shae
    Ruby-Hope

I think the trick is to keep the second name to one or two syllables so that it is less likely to be dropped.
    Last edited by christabel; February 11th, 2014 at 10:46 AM.
    My Top Names:
    Bernice, Eugenia, Harlow, Lillian, Rosemarie, Ruby

Alden, Davis, Rudy

I like some but certainly not all. They seem most popular in England and most of the popular ones there sound so cheesy to me, but there's a blogger (American expat in France) who has a Flora June, which I love. There's something so delightful about a good double-barreled name. Ruby-Faye is one of those, to me. I especially like that you're going into it with the attitude that if it ends up getting shortened to Ruby, you're okay with it. People who think there's no chance people will do that are just setting themselves up for disappointment, IMO.

The great thing about Ruby Faye is that at three syllables, it's no longer than a lot of first names. So - who knows? - maybe it won't get cut to Ruby after all!
    Girls:
    Nickname-able: Susanna, Johanna, Paloma, Lucille, Harriet, Beatrix, Rosemary, Juniper, Marigold, Annabeth, Gwendolen, Kathleen, Tabitha
    Short and to-the-point: Flora, Jane, Laura, Anne, Cecile, Susan, Kaia

Boys:
    So much easier: Hugh/Hugo, Wilfred, Basil, Augustin, Edmund, Arlo, Timothy, Frederick