Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is this name considered controversial?

I know there are some names here that people consider controversial and believe they shouldn't be used (India, Cohen, etc.) Would the name Zula be in this category? The meaning is listed here as "English, derived from Zulu, South African tribal name."
    I've taken a liking to it and wouldn't want to offend a whole nation of people with a name choice.
    Last edited by oiseau; February 10th, 2014 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Cohen NOT Conan. (thanks, geeknamezyo!)
      loves: Vespera, Venus, Thisbe, Zula
      Napoleon, Percival, Tavish, Sverre, Vega

♦  ♦  ♦
    my list: Alluring Appellations and Marvelous Monikers I'm always looking for names to add to it.

RAVENCLAW
    WIT BEYOND MEASURE IS
    MAN'S GREATEST TREASURE

I wouldn't have automatically jumped from the name Zula to Zulu, the African tribe -- though obviously they are quite similar! Now if you named your baby Zulu, then yes. Immediate connection. There is also the name Zuleika (read about it here: http://appellationmountain.net/name-of-the-day-zuleika/) which would provide a lovely base for nickname Zula. There is also the name Azula.

But back to your original question, I don't think it's controversial. There is also Sula, which is very close and without any Zulu connections.

p.s. unless you travel to that region of Africa then I don't think you'll run into a lot of people from the Zulu nation, and I doubt they'd be offended anyway.
    Last edited by aym; February 10th, 2014 at 06:16 PM.

I wouldn't think of that name as controversial at all!

Hmm...I'm not buying that meaning. Behind the Name has it as 'meaning unknown' but the assumption is that it's related to the Zulus. Other than there being one letter difference, I don't see why one would jump to the conclusion

I pronounce is 'soo-la' so I think of it as a nn for Azula or an alternate spelling of Sula

Shea * Jade * Azure * Fox * Greer * Blaise
    Lotus * Tallulah * Noor * Jasper * Linden * Arden

Thanks for all the input, everyone! Yeah, you're right, aym. I guess I shouldn't worry about it too much. I love it and it's on my list to stay for awhile!
    @nat108 I'm not really sure of it either, so I entered the meaning on my list as the diminutive of Zuzanna like the other behindthename definition had it.
    Last edited by oiseau; February 10th, 2014 at 07:34 PM.
      loves: Vespera, Venus, Thisbe, Zula
      Napoleon, Percival, Tavish, Sverre, Vega

♦  ♦  ♦
    my list: Alluring Appellations and Marvelous Monikers I'm always looking for names to add to it.

RAVENCLAW
    WIT BEYOND MEASURE IS
    MAN'S GREATEST TREASURE