Names Searched Right Now:
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18
    Ick. I didn't expect while reading through this that this would become a tea party tirade. That was a bit jolting to endure.

Anyway, I am not opposed to naming laws, especially in countries like Poland and Iceland where gender and grammer are such huge issues when considering a name. Most Latin based languages have the same issue, though I don't know if those countries have naming laws. I think even some rudimentary laws (no naming them anything obscene) would be beneficial. We may have "rights" here in the USA (ok the whole civilized world), but our children are not our property and we shouldn't be naming something that will harm their self esteem (like naming them Shithead or something to the effect). Beyond offensive names, though, I don't think laws like this would work in English speaking countries as English is a mutt-language and the USA in particular is a mutt-culture. I may not personally like Renesmee [cringe] or Nevaeh or Jaxxson, but that doesn't mean other people who do like those names shouldn't be able to use them if they choose - and I am not saying that is what other countries are doing. A PP stated there is a child named Awesome in Denmark, so it is not like the laws are super restrictive.
    Mommy of Juniper Teagan & Pyrus Nikolai

Catkin Winifred, Owl Arianrhod, Celandine Ceridwen, Heliotrope Isolde, Nettle Chiyo, Chicory Tallulah, Pennyroyal Matilda, Wedelia Imogen, Mallow Araminta, Dandelion Jane
    Senna Lazarus, Bramble Gideon, Comfrey Azrael, Thistle Dorian, Huckleberry Iver, Larkspur Saul, Bear Cornelius, Yarrow Barnaby, Sol Aurelius, Hawthorn Otis, Centaury Eben

New Crushes: Criofan, Silver, Bastet, and Noctua
    http://bloominggardenofnames.blogspot.com/[

Quote Originally Posted by nymphalis antiopa View Post
    Ick. I didn't expect while reading through this that this would become a tea party tirade. That was a bit jolting to endure.

Anyway, I am not opposed to naming laws, especially in countries like Poland and Iceland where gender and grammer are such huge issues when considering a name. Most Latin based languages have the same issue, though I don't know if those countries have naming laws. I think even some rudimentary laws (no naming them anything obscene) would be beneficial. We may have "rights" here in the USA (ok the whole civilized world), but our children are not our property and we shouldn't be naming something that will harm their self esteem (like naming them Shithead or something to the effect). Beyond offensive names, though, I don't think laws like this would work in English speaking countries as English is a mutt-language and the USA in particular is a mutt-culture. I may not personally like Renesmee [cringe] or Nevaeh or Jaxxson, but that doesn't mean other people who do like those names shouldn't be able to use them if they choose - and I am not saying that is what other countries are doing. A PP stated there is a child named Awesome in Denmark, so it is not like the laws are super restrictive.
    I mostly agree. I'm not opposed in preventing parent to call his/her kid Shit, so something basic is OK. But this can become very restrictive. In Croatia, we don't have naming law, but in my hometown, one official actually LIE to new parents that their children must have Croatian name. It's just overreaching and it's still possible to name your kid with foreign name, but only if you really want to argue with him.

Anyone naming their daughter "Clark" or son "Buzz" should be breaking the law.

Quote Originally Posted by gipro2003 View Post
    I was born in Germany which has naming laws as well. When my mom was born in 1972, my grandma wanted to name her Olympia (she was born during the Munich Olympics Opening Ceremony), but she feared it wouldn't be an approved name. My mom is now Corinna Olympia, and Olympia has become a family middle name.

I really think naming laws are a good thing. Some of the names I've seen given are pretty terrible and I really feel some parents don't give too much thought to the name of their child. At least if there were naming laws, they could just pick a random name of the list and it wouldn't be a Braidyn or a Stryker!
    Yes please no Stryker that is a name of a medical equipment company ughhh whats next Kleenex and Mattel?